No announcement yet.

what makes 57 classics sound different from 490r/490t's, & Burstbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks! So itīs not just the matched coils thing. I was thinking what if I just remove some turns of wire of one bobbin, but if the winding pattern is different then I will get a different result in tone.

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on this thread...

I guess this was a pretty naive question. Instead, I might have said: "wouldn't it be amazing if winding pattern or insulation type alone accounted for the sound difference between these otherwise apparently identical pickups?" but that would be a stupid question because I have not demonstrated that this is actually the case.

Thank you big_tee, for reminding me not to take the wire gauge for granted. I can't find a micrometer for sale in this whole effing town, but Fisher Scientific sells them for 11 bucks, so I will order one. Once I have a micrometer, I will come back with more info.

Comment

Originally posted by elipsey View Post
        Just wanted to follow up on this thread...

I guess this was a pretty naive question. Instead, I might have said: "wouldn't it be amazing if winding pattern or insulation type alone accounted for the sound difference between these otherwise apparently identical pickups?" but that would be a stupid question because I have not demonstrated that this is actually the case.

Thank you big_tee, for reminding me not to take the wire gauge for granted. I can't find a micrometer for sale in this whole effing town, but Fisher Scientific sells them for 11 bucks, so I will order one. Once I have a micrometer, I will come back with more info.
        If you are buying a 1 inch micrometer, make sure it will read at least to .0001 or more.
        You don't want one that will only read to .001.
        I have this cheapie, and it does a good job.
        0 to 1" Range Digital Micrometer
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          If you are buying a 1 inch micrometer, make sure it will read at least to .0001 or more.
          You don't want one that will only read to .001.
          I have this cheapie, and it does a good job.
          0 to 1" Range Digital Micrometer
          This is correct, the most common Micrometers you see cannot measure fine wire .
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I always understood coil geometry to be the shape of the coil ie the 3 measurements: cross-section height & width plus overall width?

Comment

Working...
            X