Ampeg B-100R blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B-100R blowing fuses

Hello - new member here. So my B- 100R is blowing fuses, and I have read that the output transformer may be bad. Is there an easy way to test it out? Or does anyone have any other ideas what it may be? I did double check speaker connections, and they're all fine.
    Thanks in advance for any guidance

Mark

Well, wherever you got that information about the output transformer, tell them it does not have one, and don't take any of their advice again.
    It's possible it may have some bad output transistors, if that is the case it is not the job for a novice. If you are setup with test equipment and tools required for electronic repair, then you may be able to find the help you need here.
    Otherwise, you should take it to a repair facility. Maybe it is even still covered by warranty.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Agree.
      It doesn't even *have* an output transformer, go figure.

Besides, "general purpose" vague advice such as "there must be some broken thingie inside there" does not really help much.
      Try to get a Service Tech .

If *he* has some doubt, we'll be glad to help
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the reply. And that is what I meant to type - transistors not transformer. I must need more coffee

so when I first turn it on theres a loud hum and the fuse glows brighter and brighter before blowing (about 2-3 secs) Is that any clue to what I should be looking at? I have a bit of electronics know how, so Im trying to solve this myself. and the amp is no longer under warranty

Comment

STOP turning it on.

There is obviously a short somewhere.

You will cause more damage if you repeatedly turn on a unit that is in a failed state.

Likely causes:
          -Failed output transistors.
          -Bridge rectifier.

Comment

If you do want to proceed and try to repair it yourself, the best first step is to build yourself a limiter lamp (or dim bulb tester) so you can turn it on without causing more damage, both before and after any repair attempts.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X