Fret Levelling Sandpaper sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Levelling Sandpaper sources

It is difficult to find 400 or so grit sandpaper that is long and wide enough for a long-block. I may put to thinner pieces side by side. Any suggestions?

3M Gold in the sticky backed rolls. Look for a 3M distributor in your area. Might turn out to be a place that specializes in supplies for either the cabinet business or auto body work. Great stuff.

Comment

3M also makes silicon carbide in widths up to 3.25" in 100" rolls at 320 grit
      mscdirect #89470884
      Adhesive-Backed Sanding Sheets | MSCDirect.com
      but you gotta buy 1000"

Comment

Look around at places that cater to commercial woodworking and machine shops. As a machinist I used large rolls of up to 400 grit many times. In sheet form it's not often longer than 11 inches, too short for my rig so I have to use rolls too. Stop in at a machine shop and ask them, they should be able to point you to a local source. Auto body shops use up to 2000 grit, they might be able to offer some sources. If you can't get sticky back, some duct tape at each end will hold it in place as long as it's not contacting the fret surface. 1500 and 2000 grit will do a mirror finish. I've used it for several things. But for chrome, aluminum foil works best. Shines it right up without scratches. (but doesn't do any sanding...just polish.)

For those who don't have anything specific to use, I found that an old wood plane works great. Mine is about 14 inches long, plenty long to do the job. Do remove the blade... I find them occasionally in yard sales, resale shops and antique stores.
        Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

I have one of the 16" long Stew-mac metal Fret/Fingerboard Levelers. I just use regular 3M sand paper, which I cut into strips, and attach with double stick tape (not the foam kind). That works perfectly and I can get the sand paper up the street at Home Depot.

They sell the 400 grit on rolls with adhesive backing. But this way I can use any grit I want.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Klingspor's was recommended on one of the guitar tech sites. I just ordered 4 rolls of 1" x 10 meter Gold for $7.95 a roll w/ $7.99 s/h. I have a 1" wide fret leveler and wasn't looking forward to trimming down wider rolls.

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop | Quality Tools and Supplies for the Woodworker.

They sell other widths as well- like 6" in grits up to 600

Steve
            Last edited by Steve A.; 06-23-2014, 01:40 AM.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
            X