Marshall JCM 900 Footpedal Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 900 Footpedal Cables

Once again, I'm dealing with a broken lead inside the 3-conductor non-shielded JCM 900 Footpedal cable. Usually the breakage occurs at the strain relief at the pedal itself, or at the TRS phone plug. So, chopping off 6 inches just to be sure you're out of the breakage zone, it's a simple matter of re-terminating the wiring to the LED's & SPST foot switches......or wiring in a new Switchcraft 297 TRS Phone Plug (or equiv. quality plug).

I'm sure this is a common problem to you all, as it is a constant maintenance activity at the equipment rental depot at our sound stage complex. Over the years, a lot of the non-Original Marshall equivalent foot pedals have been added to the inventory. Repeatedly chopping off short lengths at both ends of the cable to hopefully get past where the bloody break is, is only entertaining for a short period of time. I think it's been the low cost replacement pedals that are using this cable that just breaks somewhere out in the middle where you'll never find it. But, I think I've also had the same problem with Original Marshall Pedal cables too.

What I haven't yet found from the wire & cable manufacturers is good quality neoprene (or equiv) bulk replacement cable that has proper 'lay' properties on the floor for restoring the pile of foot pedals needing repair. I can't bring myself to buy a full spool of Mogami W2552 low cost 2-cond/shielded mic cable as a replacement, or anything I've seen in the $0.60/ft or greater price range.

I'm once again digging thru the pile of broken Midi cables or small dia mic cables for the short term solution.

Does anyone out there know who makes the 3-cond footpedal cable that Marshall uses? Or a close equivalent? PVC jacketed cable is out, as that cable has coil memory and will never lay flat on the floor. It's a low-demand cable type, so you just don't find it listed in any of the major wire & cable manufacturer's catalogs.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I use 3-core rubber cable. It lays perfectly flat, is super-flexible, tough and doesn't kink or loop. It also stays flexible in the cold.

Comment

I install a 3 conductor TRS stereo jack.
      Customer buys his own cable, length specific.
      If it breaks, they buy a new cable.

Comment

Perfect solution! Sometimes the obvious answer just doesn't occur to ya. Of course, for the equipment rental dept, it's one more cable to inventory, and the cost factor is still there. So, still looking for a decent low cost flexible cable (to by in bulk) to complete the on-going tasks.

Thanks,

Steve
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
        X