Kramer Focus 3000 early 80s Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer Focus 3000 early 80s Question?

Well I was browsing the local Craigslist today and found a kind of beat cream colored Kramer Focus 3000 superstrat so I call the guy and went by and he sold it to me for a pretty cheap price. I bought it for the original Floyd Rose tremolo setup but after looking at this guitar is kind of reliced from someone really playing it over the years so I'm almost tempted not to part it out but since its a Japan made guitar I wanted to ask opinions about this model and what you guys think?

Does anyone know what wood the bodies were on these imports? Maybe I should resurrect it??? I don't know... I already have too many guitars and the wife was frowning when I brought this home today. The Floyd rose was worth what I paid for it.

Slo
    Last edited by Slobrain; 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM.

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    Well I was browsing the local Craigslist today and found a kind of beat cream colored Kramer Focus 3000 superstrat so I call the guy and went by and he sold it to me for a pretty cheap price. I bought it for the original Floyd Rose tremolo setup but after looking at this guitar is kind of reliced from someone really playing it over the years so I'm almost tempted not to part it out but since its a Japan made guitar I wanted to ask opinions about this model and what you guys think?

Does anyone know what wood the bodies were on these imports? Maybe I should resurrect it??? I don't know... I already have too many guitars and the wife was frowning when I brought this home today. The Floyd rose was worth what I paid for it.
    Well I decided to fix it up, a pretty good 80s axe, I added the PV bandit in the pick for good measure...
    Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone know what wood the bodies were on these imports? Maybe I should resurrect it???
      Might be basswood. That was popular in the 80s. But that might have been the mid 80s. I'm pretty sure American Showster was the first company to use basswood back then, because the guitars were carved on a panograph carver. They make duck decoys from basswood! Then Ibanez copied it and the rest is history.

Cool guitar.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Might be basswood. That was popular in the 80s. But that might have been the mid 80s. I'm pretty sure American Showster was the first company to use basswood back then, because the guitars were carved on a panograph carver. They make duck decoys from basswood! Then Ibanez copied it and the rest is history.

Cool guitar.
        Wasn't it Sports that made duck decoys that did the first builds for Kramer? This body is kind of heavy. The wood looks more alder from what I can tell. Its a good sounding guitar and I have modded it with recessed FR routing and put a brass block on the Floyd Rose special I installed. I used the original old Floyd to put on my old Charvel. That was the reason I bought the Kramer was for the FR but after looking the guitar over I felt a need to restore her...lol... She stays in tune even with a Floyd Rose Special Korean made trem but that big brass block give the guitar a more bell like clarity.

Cheers

Comment

Wasn't it Sports that made duck decoys that did the first builds for Kramer? This body is kind of heavy. The wood looks more alder from what I can tell. Its a good sounding guitar and I have modded it with recessed FR routing and put a brass block on the Floyd Rose special I installed. I used the original old Floyd to put on my old Charvel. That was the reason I bought the Kramer was for the FR but after looking the guitar over I felt a need to restore her...lol... She stays in tune even with a Floyd Rose Special Korean made trem but that big brass block give the guitar a more bell like clarity.

Cheers
          Showster did the basswood guitars first, but Showster was later affiliated with Kramer. Kramer actually painted the Showster prototypes, and we got all our Floyds from Kramer.

The reason Showster used basswood was the guy (Mark Dornan) who carved the first guitars used basswood.

If it's heavier it's either alder or poplar.

Here's my old Kramer. It's covered in Showster car lacquer colors.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Showster did the basswood guitars first, but Showster was later affiliated with Kramer. Kramer actually painted the Showster prototypes, and we got all our Floyds from Kramer.

The reason Showster used basswood was the guy (Mark Dornan) who carved the first guitars used basswood.

If it's heavier it's either alder or poplar.

Here's my old Kramer. It's covered in Showster car lacquer colors.

Man, That looks like art... Were you going to restore this guitar? Its funny but that particular headstock is different from most you see. I did a refret for a buddy who has that same guitar.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X