Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help. How to replace a multi section can cap on old Valco amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. How to replace a multi section can cap on old Valco amps.

Hello again,

This time i need to replace the multi section can cap on some old valco amps I have. This is the the cap I need from CE Distribution.

Capacitor - Electrolytic, 20/10/10 µF @ 450 VDC | CE Distribution

However from what I understand, I need to make up some kind of adaptor to fit on to the chassis without drilling holes. Does anyone know how to make this adaptor? What parts I would need??

I know I could just use regular can caps but I would like to use the multi section can, if I can. Appreciate any help.

thanks,

Joseph

It's common practice to simply disconnect the old can, leave it in place for show and use axials mounted underside in it's place.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      It's common practice to simply disconnect the old can, leave it in place for show and use axials mounted underside in it's place.
      cool. if i were to use that method, how would i mount them?? Tag strips? Hot glue and silicone? Would I have to drill new holes into the chassis??

I thought there was some kind of adaptor that could be used to mount the modern can in place of the old one??

thanks,

joseph

Comment

Originally posted by cluster View Post
        cool. if i were to use that method, how would i mount them?? Tag strips? Hot glue and silicone? Would I have to drill new holes into the chassis??

I thought there was some kind of adaptor that could be used to mount the modern can in place of the old one??

thanks,

joseph
        I expect you are thinking of a clip, like this PYC6041 Kemet | Mouser

You can get them in a range of sizes from many places; Google is your friend!

If you go for axials you can use plastic clips, tag strips or ty-wraps. Hot glue is a bad idea (it get's soft) and silicone (electronic grade) has it's place but I think it looks rather unprofessional IMHO
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

The best approach is to leave the can in place for appearance only but disconnect it electrically, get some terminal strips, drill a couple holes to mount the strips, and use discrete caps. You will actually get better cap quality, cheaper price, and smaller size if you use radial caps rather than axial caps.

Greg

Comment

Working...
          X