Slope resistor and cap changes when changing a CF side to a 12ay7/12au7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slope resistor and cap changes when changing a CF side to a 12ay7/12au7

'subbed in a lower gain tube like a 12dw7 or 12ay7 for V2 in a Marshall-type preamp pedal (English Muff'n). The tone seems a bit off so driving back form rehearsal tonight it dawned that maybe the .022 caps should be increased as they're seeing a lower Z impedance now. There is a 56k slope resistor in there. So maybe .033 and go higher to 82k or perhaps lower to 33k? It seems to be lacking mids someplace.

The lower slope resistor brings up the mids for the typical Marshall tone but it also reduces what the Bass and Treble pots can do. All the parts interact including the pot values so experiment until you find the tone you want.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Using Duncan TSC I'm not seeing a noteworthy difference in the affected frequencies with source impedance changes. A significant difference in losses though. I'm not 100% on what impedance factors affect a caps pass frequency. I know from rote and experience that a caps knee, bridging any in line circuit impedance, changes with that in line impedance OR a difference in the following circuits input impedance.
      Last edited by Chuck H; 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Dang lost the reply: but thanks gents it is much appreciated and that makes sense...I'll try a few more things...

Comment

Working...
        X