Vai's Gravity Storm...oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vai's Gravity Storm...oops!

Steve grooving on his song "Gravity Storm" then blowing one of his Carvin legacy amps at 4:00.

Great song, studio version here
    Steve Vai - Gravity Storm (The Story Of Light 2012) - YouTube
    keep it here
    YouTube to mp3 Converter

I for one am happy to see Steve without the silly 80's hair moving like he enjoying what he's playing, lord knows he's used enough hairspray and leather pants..

Why does he call it a "song" when there is no singing?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
      Why does he call it a "song" when there is no singing?
      Snarkey answer: Because you can't call it a "tune" when there is no melody.
      More harp! I can't hear the harp!
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        Steve grooving on his song "Gravity Storm" then blowing one of his Carvin legacy amps at 4:00.

I for one am happy to see Steve without the silly 80's hair moving like he enjoying what he's playing, lord knows he's used enough hairspray and leather pants..
        Ya know... I couldn't agree more! As both a musician and an audience member... I 'get off' more when I see the artist truly diggin what he's doing, than them providing a 'show/theatrics'. There's a guy that I first saw at a local club 20 years ago who I befriended and still 'follow' to this day (when I have the time see him play) simply because it's *clearly* evident he loves what he's playing/doing. Combine that with my love of and sharing the appreciation of his style of music, and his genuine enthusiasm have made for many "better than sex" evenings over the years. (It may sound 'wrong' but it's true. lmao) Gut honesty/emotions on the sleeves beats ANY level of "show" in my book! But he's not your 'average' musician. He did session work in nashville for years, and is 10-15yrs my senior..as are his bandmates, but MAN...they just SMOKE when it comes to pullin out Allman Bros, and Eagles, and other vintage greats.

When you have that, then you have a chance at that "perfect moment" combination of things that *makes* loooooooooong lasting memories.

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        Snarkey answer: Because you can't call it a "tune" when there is no melody.
        More harp! I can't hear the harp!
        But.. but... what about the cowbell? I couldn't hear a single damn cowbell!
        Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

many of the comments at utube were about Steve "dancing like a fag" rather than the (much more cogent) comments here about vocals or melodies.

He is a singular musical talent IMHO, although I don't always dig his compositions, he's very true to his art and I admire that. And he can play 99% of the guitarists in the world under a table.

Comment

Some people have earned the right to dance any way they want. Anyone good enough to get a credit for "Stunt Guitar" in a Zappa album is one such person. Love the comment when the amp blew up...
            And I think that was a Bass Harp, not sure...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
              many of the comments at utube were about Steve "dancing like a fag" rather than the (much more cogent) comments here about vocals or melodies.

He is a singular musical talent IMHO, although I don't always dig his compositions, he's very true to his art and I admire that. And he can play 99% of the guitarists in the world under a table.
              Yeah, that's why I have my browsers set to have comments off on YouTube. It typically does nothing but piss me off. Too many morons commenting, and too many flame wars. Very rare for actual astute observations and useful commentary (on an average anyways).

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                Some people have earned the right to dance any way they want.
                Meh. Everyone should dance like they want.
                "Earning the right" just rubs me the wrong way, but I get what you're saying.

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                Love the comment when the amp blew up...Justin
                Yeah, that was what struck me. Total professional.

Comment

It's a piece. Pieces can be vocal or instrumental. But, ah, pop culture.

Rights are a convention created for, and perhaps by, those without an innate sensibility of function.

Now, while Vai looks like a freakin goob, ain't nothin wrong wi' it....per se.

Comment

Working...
                  X