Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

high flux LED in series with ck to ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high flux LED in series with ck to ground?

Could I put a 1-3 watt Luxeon LED in series with the cathode resistor in a preamp stage and use that as an indicator? The vF would be around 3.4V .
    Last edited by Dan T.; 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM.

Can you get a satisfactory brightness with the 2mA or so of Ik?

That Vf is consistent with an Rk of 1K7 or so, which doesn't seem out of line for a second stage.

Comment

Oh - and the LED would be REPLACING (most of) the Rk - if you wanted an Rk of 2K2, you'd put your LED and a 470R or 510R Rk.

Comment

oops , I meant Rk not ck .Thanks

Comment

2ma wouldn't be very bright ...well I'll just have to put some more thoughts into this.Maybe some experiments...
          Thanks Don.

Comment

What is it you want to indicate, anyway?

Comment

" If you can see this, then the room lights are off, when lit."
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

From peeking at the data sheets for these jobs, it looks like they run at about 100mA. I'm not sure that the Ib in a pre-amp tube would even get one to conduct .. ?

Comment

Why do you want to use such a 'big' LED? There are plenty of types that will light pretty brightly with 1mA or so of cathode current. I use them all the time to bias preamp stages.

What sort of indicator are you intending it to be that it needs to be such a high power device?
                  So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

I had a few of those LEDS floating around the junk box,and figured that you ususally see a 1/2 to 1watt resistor for the cathode in a preamp.They are rated for 350 ma for the 1 watters and around 750 to 1500 for the 3 watters(at 3.2-4Vf)It sounds like I could get away with using a 5mm one if all it has to dissapate is a ma or 2.
                    I was thinking that it would flicker a bit while playing and look kind of neat.Thans for the input ,I will check back when I try this,and let you know what happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X