Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mains transformer for late 73 Marshall Super Lead 100. Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mains transformer for late 73 Marshall Super Lead 100. Replacement?

This amp has a Dagnall T3556 mains transformer. I have been hard pressed to locate a replacement. Typically everyone has the replacement for a T2562. Most it seems have no information on the 3556. The stack on this transformer is a little thicker than the 2562 and I'm not real sure what else might be different. Finding any specs for this has been frustrating to say the least. Any help here would surely be appreciated. And yes, it is the original as the owner has had the amp since new and would like to keep it as close to original as possible.

Try Marshall

Originally posted by 01redcobra View Post
    This amp has a Dagnall T3556 mains transformer. I have been hard pressed to locate a replacement. Typically everyone has the replacement for a T2562. Most it seems have no information on the 3556. The stack on this transformer is a little thicker than the 2562 and I'm not real sure what else might be different. Finding any specs for this has been frustrating to say the least. Any help here would surely be appreciated. And yes, it is the original as the owner has had the amp since new and would like to keep it as close to original as possible.
    Last week I needed a PT for a Jmp lead and bass 50 and called up Marshall to see if they could recommend a supplier of older parts. To my amazement they said they use the exact replacement in their 1987 reissue. Price was excellent too.

Now I don't know what Marshall support is like in the US but might be worth a try maybe the 1959 reissue PT would cover it.

Comment

I shot an email out to Marshall today, we'll see what they have to say.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but if I had one of those that had a bad transformer, I wouldn't replace it with another Dagnall. Those things run dangerously warm in the Marshalls. As long as it's bad anyway, it's a good opportunity to replace it with something better. Again, just my $.02.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Dude, I agree with you on that. We're just concerned with getting something that won't require any extra holes and has the "appearance" of the original. Merren winds one that is a dead ringer for the Dagnall. Only thing is, he also charges appropriately, about twice as much as other replacements.

Comment

I understand not wanting to drill extra holes but if it comes down to performance vs style I am going to strongly recommend either one that is reliable or a re-wind.
            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X