Amp identification help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp identification help???

I got this Frankenstein Amp in the shop. It had been gutted from the original cabinet and has been mounted in a crude Suitcase-modded enclosure.All tubes out. Powers up.
    I would like to identify it to know what tubes it uses.
    Anyone have a clue ????
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	868663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	868663

add some gut shots that show the sockets.
    SS rectifier, or does it need a tube? that would check one off the list.
    trace out the heater connections, that will point you to the tube families that would live in each socket.
    have you googled the model number? that might show something.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by retrorod View Post
      I got this Frankenstein Amp in the shop. It had been gutted from the original cabinet and has been mounted in a crude Suitcase-modded enclosure.All tubes out. Powers up.
      I would like to identify it to know what tubes it uses.
      Anyone have a clue ????
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]29666[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29666[/ATTACH]
      Try gibson maybe 70's.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

G 40 Guitar tube amp | amps, pedals | Woodstock | Kijiji

All I could find, in Kijiji, it´s a no longer available add, but the pictures still appear in google images, and it´s the same amp, it says it uses 6AV6 pentodes in the pre and a single EL84 in the power section.

Comment

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6174f9dc.png

Should be guts... found on google images...

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
            http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6174f9dc.png
            Should be guts... found on google images...
            Justin
            On the plus side... Buckethead was kind enough to include a name in his pic, which subsequently was added to the link (which I'll add to my search from there)

Now searching "Mustang G40 tube amp"
            Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

First hit yielded:

Old amp, weird tubes . . .

The amp is a Canadian made Thorcraft Mustang . . . from what I gather it is about 40 years old and has a whole bunch of tubes in it that I don't recognize . . . There is one 12AX7, two 6AV6 tubes, and one 6BQ5
              Second hit yields:

Grant "Mustang" Amp . This is a sweet little amplifier . It features all tube power and a 1x12 Alnico speaker. Made by Thorcraft Ind. of Vancouver. Hank Thorkelsson is the man behind these great little amps. Hank had a good share in early Canadian Radio manufacturing. He knew his stuff and is a true giant in the growth of early Radio with his contributions.
              Sounds like you've stumbled onto a nice little amp!
              =)

PS: FWIW, The second link was a great site for info on "Lesser known Canadian amps." One of a scant few such sites on 'unique' and rare stuff!
              Some very cool reading on there.
              Last edited by Audiotexan; 07-17-2014, 02:33 AM.

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the quick detective work I tried to get a pic of the chassis on but failed. It does look just like the Mustang G 40 pictured above. The owner of the amp said it used to sound good...Over time and neglect I guess...the tubes "fell out" and went missing...
                Actually, there was a 12AT7 in the shielded base socket and an unidentifiable 7 pin tube loose in the bottom.
                Looks like the 6AV6's can be had at 4-5 bucks each....I have the rest of the tubes around the shop.

That's a start!!

Comment

Originally posted by retrorod View Post
                  Thanks everyone, for the quick detective work I tried to get a pic of the chassis on but failed. It does look just like the Mustang G 40 pictured above. The owner of the amp said it used to sound good...Over time and neglect I guess...the tubes "fell out" and went missing...
                  Actually, there was a 12AT7 in the shielded base socket and an unidentifiable 7 pin tube loose in the bottom.
                  Looks like the 6AV6's can be had at 4-5 bucks each....I have the rest of the tubes around the shop.

That's a start!!
                  the unidentified 7-pin tube is likely to be the 6BQ5 mentioned above, and it is functionally equivalent to an EL84 (different socket and pinout). Sounds like you're on the the path!

edit: D'oh! the 6AV6 is a 7-pin too. nvm...
                  Last edited by eschertron; 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM. Reason: lack of knowledge X-O
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

6BQ5/EL84 is a 9-pin... :P

6AQ5 is a 7-pin.

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                      the unidentified 7-pin tube is likely to be the 6BQ5 mentioned above, and it is functionally equivalent to an EL84 (different socket and pinout). Sounds like you're on the the path!

edit: D'oh! the 6AV6 is a 7-pin too. nvm...
                      Sorry but wrong on both counts.
                      6BQ5 is 9 pin as EL84 and to boot has same pinout
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        Sorry but wrong on both counts.
                        6BQ5 is 9 pin as EL84 and to boot has same pinout
                        Yep, my bad. I had an old silvertone with the 6AQ5 in it, thought it was odd enough to remember, but my rememory just ain't what i used to be... I think?

Sry for adding confusion to the thread.

Comment

Good news! I got the 6AV6's in a couple days ago..cleaned the sockets and re-tubed. The old Thorcraft came to life. I need to clean the control pots. The volume pot does not take the volume totally silent and the push-switch tremolo control does not operate the tremolo circuit.
                          It is a fairly loud little beast...

Comment

I always appreciate knowing how things worked out!
                            Thanks for getting back and letting us know

Keep us posted on how it comes with the volume and tremolo...

Comment

Working...
                            X