How to leave my '72 Bassman ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to leave my '72 Bassman ?

Decided to part with my '72 Bassman, which started out life as an AA371 circuit, and I've rewired it as a 5F6A tweed circuit. The left side knobs are as they appear normally, and on the right there is Volume, Mids, Presence. No mods to the chassis at all.

Should I try sell it rewired as is, or should I revert it back to the stock AA371 circuit ? Wondering how potential buyers will view the amp with the changes.

Me, I'd prefer stock rather than modified.

Comment

Agreed. I know they're not worth a whole lot, but being turned into something else doesn't help value, and I love these Bassman heads exactly as they are. Any Bassman head w. 4 preamp tubes is great as-is, IMO...

Also, not a dig at you personally, as I've never bought an amp modded by you... but my experience with modded/hot rodded/Marshallized/whatevered Fendershas been less than stellar. I'm leary, no matter how they sound, and I offer less than I would for a stock amp.

Justin
      Last edited by Justin Thomas; 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM.
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Given the choice between a modified or unmodified amp I'd always pick the unmodified version. In fact If I'm looking for a particular amp any modification is a big put-off for me.

I see so much in the way of trashy mods that need re-working, removing, or where the amp is ruined that I'm hugely suspicious. That's not to condemn your own work, it's just that the standard and execution is unknown until you open up the amp.

Comment

OK, guys, thanks much for the feedback, and I guess I concur... will return it to stock and put it on the block.

Comment

Working...
          X