Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Echoplex ep3 sound on sound static

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to sell my ep3 maestro echoplex. It echoes perfectly. However, when I flip the switch down to sound on sound, all I hear is loud static. Any ideas on how to repair this? You advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave S

Hi DaveST

Just to get you started , there are a few versions of the ep3.
    The version is determined by the serial number.
    The "ECHOPLEX_OWNER-SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf" (approx 23 megs)
    is here :-

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/M...ICE_MANUAL.pdf

Regis , a member of this forum, has hands on experience with one and has
    provided a helpful page here on his web site :-

Regis's Echoplex Page

After having a quick look at the manual it appears the circuitry or electronics is shared
    by both the echo and sound on sound selection which to me narrows it down
    to the head being open circuit or a double pole changeover switch which
    is a bit easier to fix !

You will need a multimeter set to resistance with the machine off !!! to check these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DP DT switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	833921

The switch is a double pole change over switch the two center connections either connect
    to one set of contacts at the top or when thrown the other set of contacts on the bottom.
    From my diagram/picture 1 is connected to 2 or when switch thrown connected to 3.
    Likewise the not visible set of contacts 4 connects to 5 or ...6.
    Its two "or's" in one !

So you should get a zero ohms reading (continuity beep will also indicate if the contacts are connecting) across
    1 and 2 and 4 and 5 and when you flick the switch 0 ohms or beep between 1 and 3 and 4 and 6.

According to the manual (possibly dependent on model) if you follow the black and white wires from the sound on sound head
    (on the right?) they terminate on the switch so in the sound on sound position you should get a resistance reading
    of approx 400 ohms between those two (B&W) wires on the switch.

In the echo position those wires should be shorted or measure zero ohms.. ie connected together !

Hope that's some use

Posting back here with the model number and the results of this initial test should help anyone on the forum
    to assist.

Make sure it's unplugged from power or we may never know what happened !

Comment

We've been discussing this one over in the guitar FX forum. He knows that it's not the switch so it's either the sos head or the wiring.

Comment

Wow, the response had been very helpful. I want to thank you all for trying to help. The problem is i'm not an electrician and I don't know how to work on these typed of things. I guess I was hoping it was some kind of easy quick fix. I wanted to sell this machine in perfect condition. Whatever happened to it, happened during the long term storage of it, because it was working perfectly the last time I played with it many years ago. I believe I'll just have to sell it as is unless I find someone in the Tampa area who knows how to work on these things. incidentally, the serial number is 35006. Everything else on it works and looks great! once again, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          We've been discussing this one over in the guitar FX forum. He knows that it's not the switch so it's either the sos head or the wiring.
          Thanks for that Bill.. going blind down here in the cold !
          Well at least both threads conclude with measurement data required....

I'm still a heathen re the switch 'till he pokes it with a stick um meter probe..

An mp3 may dissuade me when I hear the clickity clack...clickity clack ... clickity clack...

Comment

Well Dave.. even a hot rod enthusiast with a multi-meter should be able to check the switch for you.
            Otherwise I heard Walter Becker had some success getting a bunch of Buddhist Monks to
            de- demonize his studio. Apparently all the bugs were banished.!
            You could try that although we don't want to encourage It.
            It would decimate the service industry !

Comment

Echoplexes are everywhere. Any competent amp tech can work on them. Schematics are readily available.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                I'm still a heathen re the switch 'till he pokes it with a stick um meter probe..
                Amen, agree 100%.

Dave- If you don't want to test or clean the switch, try flipping it back and forth a few times and see if that will clean it enough to get it working again.

Comment

Working...
                X