Question on how ohm's selection of OT affects current draw on output tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on how ohm's selection of OT affects current draw on output tubes

I have a selectable 4/8/16 OT....an amp with too much voltage on the output tubes...and a bias vary trem that wants a cold bias (sending my voltage too high).

Will using the 4 ohm taps on the OT with an 8 ohm speaker work the tubes harder? I have been meaning to try this...I'm thinking I may be able to get the trem working better (deeper) in this circuit if I can get the output tubes to pull down the b+.

This is a 6G2 based amp.

A load impedance lower than the tap will work the tubes harder, so 8 ohm speaker on 16ohm tap.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If I read right, I think he is hoping the impedance "mismatch" will drag the B+ down. That being the purpose of "working the tubes harder."

I think he will be disappointed in that regard.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, I don't it will make any difference at idle (even into a short), but perhaps under power there may be some benefit.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Self bias the tubes? If a fixed bias is desired maybe strap a zener across a cathode resistor. The voltage across the cathode circuit effectively subtracts from the plate.

On the macro view there is a problem that needs to be corrected at a fundamental level. Creative ways to solve problems that shouldn't have happened is our specialty
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Mismatching the output load "just to bring +B down" won't work.

First deal wit way too much +B and then properly match load for good sound and long tube life.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, I should point out...it's not a major problem. It's just something I want to play with. Amp sounds better biased a little hotter...but then the trem gets weak. I did play with the trem circuit. It's better, but not there enough. I'd be happy with 15 to 20 volts. Maybe I should go ahead and put another tube in the design somehow...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ron vogel View Post
                Amp sounds better biased a little hotter...but then the trem gets weak.
                Might be a silly question on my part... but why would the trem be affected by biasing the output tubes??

I'd be thinking that:
                Originally posted by ron vogel View Post
                I did play with the trem circuit.
                would be more of a cause.

Or did I miss the thread this "sprang off" of?
                Not trying to be a smartass, just geniunely lost.
                Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

It's a bias wiggle trem...

Comment

Originally posted by Audiotexan View Post
                    Might be a silly question on my part... but why would the trem be affected by biasing the output tubes??
                    It's a bias vary trem. I'd guess (I don't have an amp with this circuit) biasing the amp hotter would mean that the trem circuit needs to provide more voltage to turn the tubes off.

Comment

Ron beat me to it.

Comment

If there isn't enough range on the tremolo, try bringing down the screen voltage, that will allow you to use a lower bias voltage.

Comment

Agree and add: varying bias trem plays with the transconductance variation tubes (in this case pentodes) present with varying current.

That effect is much more pronounced near cutoff and much weaker with higher idle currents; weakest in a truly class A biased amp.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                          X