Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everyone do when you run out of wire on the spool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everyone do when you run out of wire on the spool?

I just started to wind another pickup. I got 4085 winds before I ran out of wire. My DCR is 3.15KΩ @ 83.6° F. Let's say I didn't get that many winds do you solder some more wire from another spool and continue on?

splice.....splice........splice.....

cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

+1 what Jack says, Splice.
      I splice and spray with krylon lacquer, let dry and keep going.
      Same as when You break your wire, and you will break wire, if you wind long enough.
      The wire will hang on the spool or something, and snap, now and then.
      I splice and keep Truckin!

GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Are you using spn wire ? splice & sandwich the join with a small piece of scotch tape & continue .................... Sorry what were we talking about .......
        Oh yeal .......Winding .....I'm banned !!!!
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Cut off and restart wind. would you sell a new car with a puncture repaired tyre or fit a new one. A spliced pickup is a repaired pickup.

Comment

It depends on what you charge for your pickups.
            If you barely break even, then splice.
            If you are making a lucrative profit, then you may want to start over.
            Another option is to splice and put it on your own, or a test guitar.
            Then wind another one for the customer.
            With me, they get what they get, but I don't charge much either.
            If it is near the beginning I cut it off and start over, if it is near the end then I splice.
            I don't think I've ever had a problem out of a spliced pickup.
            GL, however you do it!
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 08-02-2014, 06:24 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

It depends on where I am in the coil. If I didn't get too much wound I start over. If I'm near the end I often splice the wire. If I don't think I have enough left on the spool to finish a coil I won't use it.

I splice by wrapping both lose ends on a small piece of tinned hookup wire, and then soldering that. I check the resistance against the start lead to make sure I got a good solder joint. Then I fold a small piece of masking tape over the splice and keep winding.

My reasoning is splicing this way is the same connection you make to your hookup leads. It's very similar to winding a tapped coil, except I don't run the tap out.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                It depends on what you charge for your pickups.
                If you barely break even, then splice.
                If you are making a lucrative profit, then you may want to start over.
                Another option is to splice and put it on your own, or a test guitar.
                Then wind another one for the customer.
                With me, they get what they get, but I don't charge much either.
                If it is near the beginning I cut it off and start over, if it is near the end then I splice.
                I don't think I've ever had a problem out of a spliced pickup.
                GL, however you do it!
                T
                I don't charge squat yet. Not sure if I'm ready to sell my pickups. Not until I get a few under my belt.

Comment

Working...
                X