Which is better single or heavy wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better single or heavy wire?

My first pickup I used heavy and I just went through 12828' of single and only got 3 bobbins out of it. This wire is handing me my a**. The last four I tried to wind the wire would either jump off the bobbin or ride the bobbin lip. I'm not sure if I do not it tight enough or when I stop to check during that time it jumps. I check my guides and they were aligned.

Here's one that really went off the bobbin and not only didn't I know. I was able to save this wind..

Will this tape work?

Will this tape work? http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...k-Masking-Tape
    Last edited by Sinster; 08-06-2014, 07:06 AM.

What speed are you winding at ?
    & the Uline tape is good .I use it ,even though i find it a tad wide for some things.
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Which wire is best Single or Heavy?
      They are both good, but have different sounds and purposes.
      Single can be used for anything, and most use double or heavy for some fender type pickups.
      Hard to tell, but If I'm seeing your picture right, It looks like you have a little bit of run-out.
      run-out is when the bobbin is not turning true, you can see that at the end of the bobbins.
      Where more wire is on one side on one end, and less wire on that same side on the other end.
      Either the surface your putting your bobbin on is not turning true, or the bobbin can be warped a bit.
      On the wire, I recommend buying a big spool of 42 SP, orSPN, they are both good.
      I buy wire from remington, and some buy from BAE.
      I have all the contact info in the Resources thread, post 1.
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
      With bobbins taped on the winder I would keep the speed below 1000 rpm, or maybe even under 800.
      Your doing good, keep it up.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Either your faceplate isn't running true or that thick tape you are using is uneven. I run with a little wobble but can alter the the faceplate whenever I want to make sure it retrues and in 30 years have never used any form of wire guides. As Terry said both are good wires and each has a purpose you gotta decide all that as time goes by. Much the same as what Terry said so get it lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          What speed are you winding at ?
          & the Uline tape is good .I use it ,even though i find it a tad wide for some things.
          Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Which wire is best Single or Heavy?
          They are both good, but have different sounds and purposes.
          Single can be used for anything, and most use double or heavy for some fender type pickups.
          Hard to tell, but If I'm seeing your picture right, It looks like you have a little bit of run-out.
          run-out is when the bobbin is not turning true, you can see that at the end of the bobbins.
          Where more wire is on one side on one end, and less wire on that same side on the other end.
          Either the surface your putting your bobbin on is not turning true, or the bobbin can be warped a bit.
          On the wire, I recommend buying a big spool of 42 SP, orSPN, they are both good.
          I buy wire from remington, and some buy from BAE.
          I have all the contact info in the Resources thread, post 1.
          http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
          With bobbins taped on the winder I would keep the speed below 1000 rpm, or maybe even under 800.
          Your doing good, keep it up.
          GL,
          T
          Originally posted by jonson View Post
          Either your faceplate isn't running true or that thick tape you are using is uneven. I run with a little wobble but can alter the the faceplate whenever I want to make sure it retrues and in 30 years have never used any form of wire guides. As Terry said both are good wires and each has a purpose you gotta decide all that as time goes by. Much the same as what Terry said so get it lined up.
          Thanks you

Remington is where I ordered my wire from.

The RPM is approximately 1000-1200.

Comment

I've got no answers- just a question for Sinster:
            How did you attach the plastic blocks to the shaft?

I ask because I'm considering buying what I think is the same bench grinder at Harbor Freight-
            the one with variable speed and a flexible shaft adapter.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17084.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	834034

I checked it out at the local store & was thinking I'd have to remove the safety guard
            and fabricate faceplates with threaded inserts to screw onto the end of the shaft.

It looks like you may have figured out an easier way- but I'm not sure how you did it.

Thanks,
            rjb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

That is a neat little grinder.
              Looks like lots of possibilities.
              I may need one too.
              I would be tempted to mount faceplates on each end.
              You could probably turn it around, or reverse the motor polarity, so you can wind with top going.
              If it's not top going already?
              Top going on each end, with humbuckers on one end and Single coils on the other.
              Just a thought!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                I've got no answers- just a question for Sinster:
                How did you attach the plastic blocks to the shaft?

I ask because I'm considering buying what I think is the same bench grinder at Harbor Freight-
                the one with variable speed and a flexible shaft adapter.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]29915[/ATTACH]

I checked it out at the local store & was thinking I'd have to remove the safety guard
                and fabricate faceplates with threaded inserts to screw onto the end of the shaft.

It looks like you may have figured out an easier way- but I'm not sure how you did it.

Thanks,
                rjb
                I just removed the side covers and the flexiable shaft. I had some Starboard (used in marine world) laying around. I made spacer so and recessed the face plate. The buffing I took a coffee can lid painted it white and put a black piece of tape so the opto circuit would pick it up.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sinster View Post
                  The RPM is approximately 1000-1200.
                  I don't think I've ever gone over 700-750 RPM when hand guiding. I'd try slowing it down - from my experience it's much easier to control and be consistent, especially if you're hand-tensioning.
                  Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

So is it top or bottom going?
                    Does the bobbin come toward you, or away from you at the top?
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

What are you using for wire guides?

Just as an example, this is the Schatten winder;

See the guides that stop you from going past the bobbin flanges?

I also think that winder might be spinning too fast for you. As you get more experience you can wind faster.

I think that white mounting plate is too big and in your way.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

bottom going
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          So is it top or bottom going?
                          Does the bobbin come toward you, or away from you at the top?
                          T
                          Towards me..

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            What are you using for wire guides?

Just as an example, this is the Schatten winder;

See the guides that stop you from going past the bobbin flanges?

I also think that winder might be spinning too fast for you. As you get more experience you can wind faster.

I think that white mounting plate is too big and in your way.
                            I might cut it down, but that wind is the only time that happened. The rest of the time it just wound on the lip of the bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinster View Post
                              I just removed the side covers and the flexiable shaft....
                              Thanks for the info & pics- that's just what I needed.

I see you used a piece of fabric to block ambient light from the opto sensor. Nice. Herringbone tweed?
                              I've had problems using a TCRT5000 reflex sensor (IR detector positioned next to LED, sensing reflected light by driving phototransistor into saturation).
                              The data sheet says "the reflection of various body surfaces in the infrared range can deviate significantly from that in the visible range"
                              and contains a table showing that some black inks reflect as much 950 nm light as white paper does.
                              By trial and error, I've found a bunch of other materials that reflect too much IR!
                              I've also found that if you draw one magic marker line on a CD, the sensor might "see" reflections of the line and trigger multiple times.
                              I'll have to try some plain old black tape on a white disc. D'oh.

In an attempt to contribute something to this thread, I hereby pass on some advice gleaned from previous threads:

RE: Wobbly bobbin, possibly due to thick foam tape:
                              Try carpet tape. (Thanks to David Schwab). I get mine at Walmart.

RE: Counter triggering (possible issue you may not have noticed or encountered)
                              For accurate counting at high RPM, blacken 1/2 of the white disc to generate signal with ~50% duty cycle.
                              (Thanks to Joe Gwinn).

Later,
                              -rb
                              Last edited by rjb; 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM.
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X