X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    What are you drinking David S.?
    I want some!
    Damn Spell check .....have you noticed in most spell correction programs ,Humbucker always shows up incorrect ....
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
      I've gone with the traditional way of using the starts as my ground and hot but I've wondered if what you are saying would make more sense.
      Here's the thing- "what I'm saying" is what Seth Lover specified in the patent. He presents several humbucker configurations- including a split coil and two sidewinders- and for every one, he specifies that the "inner ends of the coils" (i.e., the Starts) be used for the series link.
      So, how did using the starts as ground and hot become "the traditional way"?
      My guess is that some one at the Gibson factory screwed up, and know one thought it was worth fixing.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        Here's the thing- "what I'm saying" is what Seth Lover specified in the patent. He presents several humbucker configurations- including a split coil and two sidewinders- and for every one, he specifies that the "inner ends of the coils" (i.e., the Starts) be used for the series link.
        So, how did using the starts as ground and hot become "the traditional way"?
        My guess is that some one at the Gibson factory screwed up, and know one thought it was worth fixing.
        Forget Seth's patent. If the start is hot noise will be induced into the coil when you touch the poles. So I'm sure someone figured that out when they started building the pickups. It works exactly the same either way, except for the noise issue.

This is also why the starts are ground on Fender pickups, and why the Mustang did not have exposed poles. When the phase was reversed on the pickups, the magnets would be noisy if you touched them.

Humbuckers present a composite signal, and unless you wind the two cols in reverse direction, the start on the end coil will be hot. The reason it's not done that way is likely because it was extra work, and Gibson decided it wasn't worth the bother. Also, I'll assume since one coil was under the cover, you couldn't touch the slugs. But I don't know which coil they were on, and I don't feel like looking it up.

But don't over analyze what Gibson did. They made pickups, and they worked, and they left it at that. Everything else is in hindsight.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Eddy currents have no effect on noise pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee
            Ok not Eddie Currents, Whatever.
            By the way, it's spelled "eddy" (as in a whirling mass of fluid, which is what the current patterns look like), not "eddie" (a man's name?).

In Europe, particularly France, eddy currents are also known as Foucault Currents: Eddy current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I hear it, I know it's there. I'm referring to hum canceling pickups, and minus the 60 Hz.
            The other frying noises seem to come and go with the presence, or absence of metals.
            Whatever kind of noise it is, we still have to deal with it the best we can.
            There seems to be no magic grounding or shielding to totally eliminate it.
            I have the test lab to provide the noise, which seems to be an airborne noise.
            My bedroom with ceiling fans, flourescent lights, metal desk, phones, modems, wifi, amps, etc.
            There are two ways for noise to be carried, via varying magnetic fields (this is what humbucking rejects) and via varying electric fields (this is what shielding rejects).

From the above description, my guess is that the electrostatic shielding is not adequate. This shielding can be provided by the pickup and/or by the walls of the cavity within which the pickup resides.

Usually, the best approach is to shield the cavity by painting the cavity with shielding paint and using aluminum foil tape on the underside of the pickguard. Be sure to ground both paint and tape.

Comment

Whatever!
              Enough about this.
              Back to the OP, I like both Equally, and use some of all sizes!
              Last edited by big_teee; 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Which wire is best Single or Heavy?
                They are both good, but have different sounds and purposes.
                Single can be used for anything, and most use double or heavy for some fender type pickups.
                Hard to tell, but If I'm seeing your picture right, It looks like you have a little bit of run-out.
                run-out is when the bobbin is not turning true, you can see that at the end of the bobbins.
                Where more wire is on one side on one end, and less wire on that same side on the other end.
                Either the surface your putting your bobbin on is not turning true, or the bobbin can be warped a bit.
                On the wire, I recommend buying a big spool of 42 SP, orSPN, they are both good.
                I buy wire from remington, and some buy from BAE.
                I have all the contact info in the Resources thread, post 1.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
                With bobbins taped on the winder I would keep the speed below 1000 rpm, or maybe even under 800.
                Your doing good, keep it up.
                GL,
                T
                I believe this was the only post about which is better single or heavy ?
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                X