Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taller humbucker bobbins revisited!

Hi All,

Long time member, but first post in the pickup section. Been playing with winding for around a month, so definitely a beginner and hobbyist

I have done searches, and there are a few older threads about this, but no info for a good while. So I thought I'd ask the question again.

I'm looking for a source for taller humbucker bobbins, in the 49.2 mm length preferably.

As an example, I measure the inside flange height of a Mojo 'PAF' bobbin as 6.2 mm. The Mojo blade style HB bobbin measures as 8.6 mm inside the flanges.

I would love to find a source for PAF shaped bobbins, but with the blade style height!

If anyone has any updates on sources, please let me/us know.

Thanks!

Originally posted by jimboyogi View Post
    Hi All,

Long time member, but first post in the pickup section. Been playing with winding for around a month, so definitely a beginner and hobbyist

I have done searches, and there are a few older threads about this, but no info for a good while. So I thought I'd ask the question again.

I'm looking for a source for taller humbucker bobbins, in the 49.2 mm length preferably.

As an example, I measure the inside flange height of a Mojo 'PAF' bobbin as 6.2 mm. The Mojo blade style HB bobbin measures as 8.6 mm inside the flanges.

I would love to find a source for PAF shaped bobbins, but with the blade style height!

If anyone has any updates on sources, please let me/us know.

Thanks!
    Our own member Zhangliqun, aka David Plummer, maker of Zhangbucker p'ups, make his own taller bobbins by cutting and gluing two standard bobbins.

If you're good with a CAD program, you can 3D print'em locally for a reasonable price per unit.

So, I think your best bet is making your own. Unless you're planning making a series of 500 p'ups, so you should talk with any of the Korean parts makers which will make the mold on your specs for a minimum of 1,000 pieces.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Taller bobbins are not really hard to find in 50mm & 53mm
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

LtKojak, do you know, or have a link to some more details about the cut and glue process?
        I'll think about that 3D printing option, I have no experience there, but time to learn some more.

copperheadroads, can you please tell me more

Comment

I know bustedaxe used to carry taller bobbins .but cant see much of anything but kits on there site now .
          I have taller bobbins I've got from Addictionfx a couple years ago . They are recognized by the little half moon piece taken from the end & not flat like the WSC bobbins that mojo & Addictionfx has on there site now .

Comment

Thanks copperheadroads, I have put the question to addictionfx to see if they have any taller style bobbins.

Any other leads greatly appreciated!

Comment

I heard back from addictionfx, their "high quality PC bobbins", with the flat on the lower ends, measure 6.6 mm inside the flanges. So 0.4 mm taller than the Mojo PAF ones, but not as tall as I'm after.

Comment

I guess the only place to get them is overseas now

Comment

Working...
                X