ID this connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this connector?

Anyone recognize this type of connector? I'd prefer to find an exact replacement rather than drill out the board and hard wire. It's from a mobility scooter. The socket side is board mount and has 6 male spade lugs oriented vertically, 2 rows of three. It's pretty much square. The plug end has the female spade lugs and mounts to wire harness.
    In the "conbottom" image I have drawn in yellow where the missing pins would be.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	conbottom.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	868741Click image for larger version

Name:	conrear.JPG
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	868742Click image for larger version

Name:	conbotside.JPG
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	868743
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Did you contact the mobility scooter manufacturer?

Are there any marks molded onto the housing of either connector body? Like MX or AMP?

We cannot see the unmated connectors, sometimes the pins or plastic configurations are identifiable.

This is where I like paper catalogs. I sit down with Mouser or Allied and go to connectors. I leaf page by page looking for similar things.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well that's a first here!

I repaired a bad connection to the speed control on my dads scooter years ago!
      Nice rugged Allen Bradley pot was the speed control!

Comment

The scooter manufacturer is extinct and there does not seem to be anyone handling parts for the brand (fortress scientific model FS2000). There was a retro re-issue made recently but it is not the same and confuses the issue of finding parts.
        I couldn't show the unmated connectors because they are melted together. I have since broke them apart, but that pretty much destroyed them. There are no markings anywhere.
        The pins are regular spade lugs (.250). Male blades in the socket (which is mounted to the board), female spade in the plug side of connector (which is at the wire harness).
        I'll try to post more pics of what's left.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

SO fast-on connector contacts in a housing. My first strategy would still be the paper catalog from Mouser et al.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, I went through Mouser's print catalog, but I will double check under fast-on.

Comment

From the what do you have to lose department, maybe we go outside our electronics circle.

Here in town we have electrical supply houses - where electricians buy conduit and romex and wire nuts. You might show it to them at their counter and see if it rings any bells. And we also have a few appliance part companies, where they sell stove burners, washer/dryer motors and parts, etc. It might look familiar to them too.

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                Anyone recognize this type of connector? I'd prefer to find an exact replacement rather than drill out the board and hard wire. It's from a mobility scooter. The socket side is board mount and has 6 male spade lugs oriented vertically, 2 rows of three. It's pretty much square. The plug end has the female spade lugs and mounts to wire harness.
                In the "conbottom" image I have drawn in yellow where the missing pins would be.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]29962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29964[/ATTACH]
                Would I me right in saying you just need any connector with a compatible footprint? Do you know what the current carrying capacity is?

Last resort: Would it possible just to solder half a dozen wires with fast-on receptacles on the other end to the board and ty-wrap them to prevent the board being yanked?
                Last edited by nickb; 08-09-2014, 09:06 PM.
                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Here in town we have electrical supply houses - where electricians buy conduit and romex and wire nuts. You might show it to them at their counter and see if it rings any bells. And we also have a few appliance part companies, where they sell stove burners, washer/dryer motors and parts, etc. It might look familiar to them too.
                  I'm guessing it may be from the automotive world, but seems to be extinct. I don't even see similar terminals anywhere. No nearby suppliers to check, especially for board mount stuff.

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                  Would I me right in saying you just need any connector with a compatible footprint? Do you know what the current carrying capacity is?

Last resort: Would it possible just to solder half a dozen wires with fast-on receptacles on the other end to the board and ty-wrap them to prevent the board being yanked?
                  It's a 24V 40A motor, I've read they only run it at 20A. Yes a compatible footprint will probably work, but will probably go with wires and individual connectors like you mentioned. The problem with that is I will have to drill out the holes as there are some pretty heavy wires and the traces aren't all that wide. I may have to mount some kind of lug to solder the 2 bigger wires to.

Thanks everyone for the help, this will have to go on the back burner for now. I was just getting started on the clutch pressure plate replacement on the 8N Ford, but now the freezer is on the blink and starting to defrost so I'll have to tackle that first .
                  Waiting to see what the "third" of the bad luck is going to be.

Comment

Do you need a connector?
                    How many wires are there?
                    It should be easy to figure out.
                    You have main power then connections to the speed control and direction control.

Comment

Working...
                    X