X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace Elliot GP7 300 Watt version bipolar bear question

Hello forum!

I have a question about this power module

Previously this unit was repaired so i am not aware of this little detail.

The transistores are directly mounted to the heatsink without an insulation between them. However the heatsink is
    attached against the PCB with insulated screws so there is no electrical connection between the PCB and the heatsink itself

Does anyone know how the original transistores were mounted in the factory?

Thanks in advance.

It might seem a silly question but i'd rather ask than assume.
    Hearing Is Believing

And the heat sink does not bolt to the chassis in any fashion? If that is the case, and the heat sink is totally isolated, I would suspect that isolation is not necessary on the transistors themselves. The schematic won't normally go into mounting detail, but if you have the schematic, you should be able to determine if contact is being made where it shouldn't be.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

If the heatsink is fully floating (insulated from chassis and circuit board), then this may be the way it was done at the factory.
      There are some newer model solid state marshalls that have the output IC metal tab connected directly to the heatsink with no insulator. But the heatsink is insulated from the chassis, so it doesn't matter.

In your case, the heatsink will be at the same voltage as the transistors collectors. As long as the heatsink doesn't connect to anything else there is no problem. The heatsink itself may even be providing the connection between the collectors of the transistors.
      However, usually there are 2 types of complimentary transistors in an output stage. So you would need 2 separate heatsinks for the 2 types.
      Are all the transistors on your heatsink the same type?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Or the NPN and PNP roles are reversed, making the collectors the common element.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't know about this model but I've seen this in other TE amps. The heatsinks are fully isolated (from the ground) and there is +/-70 V on each of them. You have to be careful and not to touch them when fixing the amp.

Mark

Comment

Not in these amps, but some others ground all collectors so do not use insulators and heatsinks are also grounded (think QSC and some Peaveys) and speaker out "hot" is the midpoint of the main filter caps.
            To boot, +/-V rails dance following audio.
            On first sight, very confusing, until it clicks
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here is the GP7 schematic.

There are two available output sections.
              A MosFet & a BiPolar.

Either way the + & - rails are on the heatsink.

I would have to assume (hope) that there are in fact two separate heatsinks.

By isolating the sinks & attaching the output devices directly to the sink, there is a better transfer of the developed heat.
              Attached Files

Comment

The parts list shows 2 heatsinks, so I guess each is at one of the supply voltages, as MarkusBass mentioned.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

In fact there are 2 separate heatsinks. The circuit has been modified . I'll post my findings here.
                  Hearing Is Believing

Comment

Working...
                  X