Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +/- 15V OR +/-12V for opamp circuits?

Hi.
    I'm busy building some opamp circuits, and it occurred to me that most of the circuits/ schematics I see, run the opamps from dual +/-15V supplies.
    I have dual +/-12V for this project. Will it degrade the performance in any way?
    I'm using JRC4558 IC's.
    I know that headroom will be diminished somewhat, but my project will be for line level signals only.
    Why is it more common to see 15V dual rails????

12 volts will be fine, only p-p 6 volts less swing. Are you talking about line level +4 or -10? For consumer -10 line level a swing of almost 24 volts will be more than enough for lots of headroom but more limited headroom if 0 is +4. What are you building?

Comment

Remember too that most common opamps can't swing rail-to-rail. With a 4558 that means a loss of around 1v in either direction.

Comment

Why is it more common to see 15V dual rails????
        Because 99% Op Amps can easily stand them and that gives max easy to get output.
        Of course they work perfectly with +/-12V , just a little less headroom, which often is not needed .
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
          12 volts will be fine, only p-p 6 volts less swing. Are you talking about line level +4 or -10? For consumer -10 line level a swing of almost 24 volts will be more than enough for lots of headroom but more limited headroom if 0 is +4. What are you building?
          Thanx for the reply.
          I'm building a DI box and its inverse, all in one box for my second test bench. Will be used for servicing mixer and/or taking balanced signal, converting to unbalanced for my bench test amp and speakers.

Comment

For this application check out the excellent line divers and receiver chips from THAT Corp.

THAT IC Datasheets

available at Mouser

Comment

There's what an op-amp can handle, and there's what an op-amp needs for the job it is being asked to do. Many op-amps are perfectly fine with +/-18V, for that matter, but as so many effects pedals richly illustrate, often +9V (essentially +/-4.5V) is sufficient to do the job. The 12 and 15V designation is really more a function of how widely available 3-pin regulators are at those voltages, than anything else.

Given how many DI units run on less than +/-12V, I think your supply is more than adequate. Whatever supply voltage you go with, make sure that any and all relevant electrolytic caps are voltage-rated appropriately for a comfortable margin of error. Use 25V ratings and you'll be fine.

A DI box assumes one is directly feeding a mixer or other similar input. You can likely find much better op-amps to use than a 4558...unless the master plan is to exploit the weaknesses of the chip in some manner.

Comment

Working...
              X