No announcement yet.

Russian made Groove Tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leo, the Trainwreck Pages are in a book by Gerald Weber, Pittmans book IIRC, had quite a few schematics.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

They are also in at least a few editions of the groove tubes book. No idea where they would have first been published.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Maybe Gerald got the idea from Pittman, only my Weber book has the trainwreck pages.

I had a chance to speak with Aspen Pittman at one of the So Cal guitar shows years ago, at least in person he seemed like a nice guy.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

May have been printed in there without permission and had to be removed?
          The Diaz stuff got removed also, probably too many complaints bout the gunk treatment.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
            Maybe Gerald got the idea from Pittman, only my Weber book has the trainwreck pages.

I had a chance to speak with Aspen Pittman at one of the So Cal guitar shows years ago, at least in person he seemed like a nice guy.
            TW pages definitely in my copy of The GT Book. First saw TW pages copied into Angela's catalog comic book @ 1980. Why they're not in the GT book any more, can't guess. But you can find 'em on the interwebs without too much trouble I'm sure.

Of course Aspen's a nice guy, he's a slick salesman with a big smile, firm handshake & knowledge of the current buzz words. And he did surround himself with people who did know the tech stuff, Red Rhodes for instance. Some parts of the GT story we may not like but he's a successful businessman, don't we all want to be that?
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Not at the risk of also being a bullshit artist, no.

When I first got the Pittman book, the original, I thought it was a nice book. Plenty of pictures, and all those schematics, and some of the reading was useful. But when I got to "The GC in 6L6GC stands for Glass Container" I knew I was hearing baloney.

If that is what GC meant then I assume 6L6 GB meant Glass Bottle, and 6L6 GA meant Glass A... weell I have no idea what it might stand for. But i already knew that GC was simply the next update after the others in alphabetical sequence. If Pittman was really a tube guy, he'd know that. Of course he's a nice guy, con men always are.

But i did recommend his book, and the later one with the disk of schematics was really a buy. Now we have the internet schematic collections, but we didn;t then.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The Tube Amp Book got me started, followed by Gerald Weber's book. I learned mostly about amp history, and yes, the pix in the Pittman book are great. Much drooling done. But it was Jack Darr's book (not a reprint!) that got me off the ground - no BS & dead-ahead practical. And to see all those schemos in the back - some of which I still can't find on the internet! I also realized most of the schemos in Aspen's book were lifted from Darr, but I didn't mind; Darr's book was out of print at the time.

I was alarmed at the line in Pittman's book thar said "few tubes ever survive the tests and become a Groove Tube!" Um, I would probably have been happy to take all the rejects. I'd be curious to see.how many perfectly good tubes were pitched. Just because a tube is noisy in the Preamp slot doesn't mean it won't be a great PI! At this stage in the game, and given the problems with noise I've had with all of the GT preamp tubes I get/see, I feel like they're getting the rejects that no-one else wants to sell... I don't care if I pay $8 for a 12ax7 and it goes microphonic a little while. But when I know one of my customers paid $25 and it screeches out of the box, I have a problem. I make sure to point it out, too...

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  I was alarmed at the line in Pittman's book thar said "few tubes ever survive the tests and become a Groove Tube!" Um, I would probably have been happy to take all the rejects. I'd be curious to see.how many perfectly good tubes were pitched.
                  Donīt worry, that line is just salesmanīs b*llsh*t .
                  It should read: "We reject nothing. We just measure them and grade them from 1 to 10. Period"
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X