No announcement yet.

60's Vintage TNT Bass Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you consider selling let me know please!

Comment

The TnT amp, which stood for Tom and Tom-( the original owners ) -the Co. was short lived for about 4-5 years in Venice Ca. Frank, (RIP) was owed money from the Toms, took over the company - only to close it when he had problems getting paid from the bands he was building the amps for. He did not provide schematics for these amps, to insure he would get the repair work. They are very loud and run on 6ca7 tubes. the Bass and guitar were the same chassis, populated to order. I am a BUYER for these amps, cabs and pedals that were made. Message me if you have one for sale. If you own one, good luck making it work. . . I paid a fortune to have the one I own serviced, to original spec with master gain mod. I have a friend here in LA who knew Frank too, and got the info out of him to put mine back in order. I was at his garage in Venice in 1969 watching him build them. He did not play guitar, and had me give one a test drive on the bench the day I was there. It was the up-side-down version (last version) he was building that day, with the controls on the bottom so you could adjust them with the head atop of the tall stack-
      Last edited by TnT amp Lover; 05-29-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Frank Cooley is still very much alive. He's my grandfather and we just spent the last few days together. Pretty funny to read the fables here. He has fond memories/ stories of building TNT amps, still refurbishes amps, and builds project roadsters from scratch at 86 years old!

Originally posted by Archie Speed View Post
        Very little info so far on this amps origins. TNT Electronics, Venice CA. The late Frank Cooley & family built these in the late 60's & 70's. Some in their garage. Canned Heat is said to have used these around the Woodstock period.

So this has some historical significance as a So. Cal. 60's boutique amp. I'm still looking at the history & I'm never in a rush to do anything, mod or otherwise. What's there looks a lot better in pictures than in person. I'll try to refine my schematic sketch so that it is legible & decipherable & post when I do.

Comment

Working...
        X