Bias Problems in a New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias Problems in a New Build

I built a Ceriatone layout JCM-800 2204 and I can't get the bias voltage close. The best I can get is 12-20mv range with tubes installed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JCM800_2204Ceriatone 2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	868827
    With no tubes installed I have 499v on pins3 of the tube sockets and -35v on pins 5. On the anode side of the bias ckt. diode, I get -45.8mv. Between the 15k and the 56k I have -36mv. The trim pot varies the voltage from 0 to -25mv. Doesn't look like enough range to me. I've doubled the 220k bias range resistor with minimal effect. It gets me another few mv. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you getting proper screen voltage at pin 4 of the power tubes?
    The layout shows a 47K after the 15K, but you mentioned 56K?
    Can you post a proper schematic rather than the layout?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Don't have a schematic. I built it from this layout. 47k is correct. I've been messing with values here and at one point it was a 56k. Voltage at pin 4 is 495 with no tubes installed.

Comment

In your first post there are a few places you said mV where I think you meant volts (-45, -36).
        You are checking bias by measuring the DC (mV) across the 1 ohm cathode resistors of the power tubes?
        How about measure the DC volts at pin 5 with the bias pot set to min, then set to max.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

With tubes installed and the 47k bias resistor;
          pin 3 489v
          pin 4 487v
          bias pin 1 7mv max. Brand new EH EL34's.

Comment

power amp section schematic:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2204pwr.gif
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	835141

Comment

pin 5 I have a range of -29.7 to -52.6v.

Comment

Make sure those cathode resistors are 1 ohm, and connected in series between pin 1/8 connection and ground, as shown in layout.

Comment

They are. FYI, the amp works, passes audio and the front end sounds like it works properly. I get gain with the pre volume cranked, but the output is very low...like a 1 watt amp.

Comment

Are the heaters lit up good on the power tubes?

Comment

What do you mean by "good"? You know this got me to thinking so I measured AC volts across pins 3&7 and I'm reading 3.2 VAC. I have the heater center tap grounded...is this the problem?

Comment

You mean from pin7 to pin2 (not either pin to ground) ? You should have 6.3VAC there, if it's 3.2, that is definitely a problem.

Comment

Yes and I just discovered that I miswired the heater secondary. I ASSumed black was the CT.
                          http://www.classictone.net/40-18023.pdf
                          Hope I didn't fry the winding.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Before you fire it up with the proper heaters, set bias pot to max resistance (-56V at pin5).
                            Also you mentioned you had "doubled the 220k bias range resistor", which I think is the one feeding the bias diode. Make sure to put it back to stock value.

Comment

Bet that sounds better now, dunnit' .

Comment

Working...
                              X