EQ slider question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ slider question

I know fader lube is preferred however in a pinch would silicone grease such as automotive spark plug boot grease do? Just wanna know your thoughts on that. Not that it's relevant but this is on a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX. I am removing them individually and disassembling them the old fashioned way to clean. I'm old school like that about certain things. They are a touch krusty but not too bad to function.

I found the thread about lubricants. Very informative. One of the places I use to work at used CRC QD contact cleaner then a separate lubricant for the pots. They haven't had an issue with a return for the pots but maybe it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Having taken apart the 'disposable' slide faders from ARP 2600 synth's and others full of faders that have gummed up over the years, I've restored loads of them very successfully. After desoldering the faders from their PCB's or lead wires, and then carefully prying open the metal tabs that close them up, cleaning is the first task.....Denatured Alcohol I find works best, getting all the harden grease out. After drying them (I use Q-Tips), I find Red Bearing grease actually works very well in the re-lube / re-assembly process. I do favor brushing on Caig DeOxit on the fader track/wiper mechanism, but for the mechanics, the Red Grease works really well....is inexpensive, and restores that original smooth viscosity feel you find on new faders.

But, do look closely at the carbon tracks and the condition of the fader's wiper contacts. I've had to go thru an entire Yamaha MC3000 48 ch console that had been so badly drenched with contact cleaner, and there weren't enough new replacement faders available in the US from Yamaha, that I had to go thru every fader to find those that would survive until the replacements arrived. The original faders had lost their 'knuckle' wiper, which turned into gouges and cut grooves into the slider's resistive elements. Absolutely a filthy greasy-grimy mess. There were no protective skirts preventing dirt from getting in, so I came up with a solution for that in the process.

This was an extreme case....usually, restoring pots and faders is a successful operation.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
      X