Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pickups parts labyrinth

Hello,
    After reading all of the this is better than that, no that' not historically correct, oh the chemical composition is not accurate, this wire was used from ? to ?, this winder was used from till and that' the only way to get an accurate replica, you have to use this magnet with that wire wrapped with the correct tape or it will sound like a 62 instead of a 58.
    I am starting to think it would be easier to just order Chinese pickups with ALNICO pole pieces or bar magnets and use them as a base for winding pickups.
    I am not trying to wind a exact copy of the original pickup used in (pick the name)'s guitar in a prewar recording. Just wind some pickups.
    I have tried buying magnets in bulk, however it was made almost impossible by most of the major company's. The only alternative is getting bled to death by a very few of the major suppliers and paying more in postage than the parts cost. A Stu Mac kit for a single coil costs more than the price of some pickups.
    Enough of their wire to wind 3 pickups is more than the cost of some pickups.
    It is very frustrating. I doubt I am the only one who feels that way.

It is easy to pay a lot to make pickups.
    Especially if you are buying retail, and not getting pickup parts at wholesale prices.
    If you buy cheap pickups with alnico poles?
    If you're talking Single Coils, Try to buy the kind made like originals, with flatwork and fitted magnets.
    Try to avoid the Single Coils with plastic bobbins.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Like T says, you can pay a lot for a pickup kit if you are paying retail. But with a commercial account and buying in some volume the cost is much more reasonable. In my case, a Strat style single coil with all the fixin's (including packaging and an allowance for supplies like lacquer and wax), shipping and taxes comes to ~ $15 per pickup. Add a couple bucks more for PE or FV. I live in Canada and I buy from the U.S. "major suppliers" you're probably referring to. If I lived in the U.S., it would be closer to $10 per pickup from those same guys. I'm only a hobbyist, but I don't think that's outrageous for what I'm doing.
      Last edited by kayakerca; 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar of course. . .
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

That is a real good question?
        Why do parts cost so much?
        How come you can buy cheap complete pickups cheaper than import parts?
        I would Picket, but I don't know where.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Hello,
          Because no one questions them. If some of the people who purchase the stuff in bulk would resist and demand better deals you would see results. Other than pickup makers what is the market for pole piece magnets and bars ? This is a very small market and as a result people are getting soaked. The real clincher is most of the magnets are being purchased from China in bulk then sold by American company's at high dollar minimum orders. The forbon is another scam. how much does it cost to produce. Compare the price you pay for a 6"x12" sheet to the price you pay for the same material when it is used in automotive gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
            After reading all of the... It is very frustrating. I doubt I am the only one who feels that way.
            You shouldn't be frustrated. We're living in the golden age of pickup making. There are more parts for different types of pickups commercially available now than there have ever been before. Nearly anything you want can be built with 'off the shelf' parts that you can have in your hands in a matter of a couple of days. We've never had it so good.

There's plenty that you can do to save money. First off, stay away from the high price suppliers, and shop around for everything. Here's an ebay merchant that I like. philaluthiertools on eBay Check his prices on humbucker parts, and magnets.

Do your homework, and you'll cut your costs substantially

Comment

Hello,
              Same geegaws and doodads as the others no real savings. No magnetic pole pieces. Place to go if you want a personalized TRC, or gold colored hardware. No real savings on name brand stuff.

Comment

Hello,
                Same geegaws and doodads as the others no real savings. No magnetic pole pieces. Place to go if you want a personalized TRC, or gold colored hardware. No real savings on name brand stuff.
                Suit Yourself.

Comment

No real savings on name brand stuff.
                  Maybe I missed the boat here...but are you trying to buy SD/Gibson/Fender parts and then wind your own?? Those are brand names IMO. Niche fields are always higher priced (especially when you refer to metalwork/gold colored/etc) as it's a LIMITED market to start with. IE: They can't use/sell pickup covers for another purpose AFAIK...so you either pay to have the cover, or 'create' your own from scavenged/used parts, and buy a gold-plating kit...or settle for spray-paint/laquer/whatever.

Pickup making by description (or in my mind "by definition") is going against the 'grain' and sourcing your own materials (which means not name brand), creating your own thing. Like what John and Terry and others here do (some go all the way up to thermo-forms etc). Others buy used 'dead' ones, and rebuild/rewind from there. Hell, I still have a vintage Fender SC that I need to have rewound, or do myself, but, I hang out here to learn more about it all before even considering it.

That's one of the beautiful things about this as a hobby IMO. There's room for every level in between.

If you just needed to bitch/vent...then disregard. lol
                  We all have those days!
                  Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

I know how he feels, so let's not be too hard on him.
                    Shipping is one thing that is Killing everyone.
                    I've gone through some of that lately.
                    Where they want more to ship it to you than the small items cost.
                    Really, if a guy just needs a few pickups, it's cheaper to buy them out right, than to gear up to wind them.
                    If you have the winder, and wire, then I would make my own.
                    When I started winding, I was making them for myself.
                    So If someone else wants a few, why not make a few for others?
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Ok, went back to re-read yet again, and I did miss the boat. Seems I glossed over you saying what I said (only I didn't realize I was 'repeating' you almost verbatim when I went into my "Niche" trailoff...). /facepalm

Originally posted by SpareRibs
                      Other than pickup makers what is the market for pole piece magnets and bars ? This is a very small market and as a result people are getting soaked.
                      My apologies SpareRibs.
                      I'll try and reel it in.
                      Last edited by Audiotexan; 09-10-2014, 04:28 PM.
                      Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Terry
                        I know how he feels, so let's not be too hard on him.
                        Sure, it can be a bit overwhelming, but you can't start at the top. In his original post, He was lamenting about parts prices, availability, and shipping costs. I supplied him with a link to parts for less than half of what he's paying with cheap, fast shipping. In return I got a cynical reply. I'm done here. He doesn't want help. He wants people to agree with him.

Comment

Here is their retail site.
                          Pickup Making Parts - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC
                          I've thought about trying their keeper bars. 10 for $16.99
                          If they are machined and are the proper dimensions, that's not a bad price.
                          The FilterTron Covers look good also.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                            Sure, it can be a bit overwhelming, but you can't start at the top. In his original post, He was lamenting about parts prices, availability, and shipping costs. I supplied him with a link to parts for less than half of what he's paying with cheap, fast shipping. In return I got a cynical reply. I'm done here. He doesn't want help. He wants people to agree with him.
                            Hello,
                            The original post was pertaining to single coils parts and availability of magnetic pole pieces. You posted a site specifically catering to humbuckers. It had lots of bobbins and bar magnets, keeper bars, chrome and gold pickup covers. brand name parts were gotoh tuning pegs Bigsby tremolo's, TOM bridges, stopbar tailpieces.
                            If you consider it cynical because you misunderstood the post, I guess you will just have to be right. I think I will just go back to lurking. Also know that I care little about who agrees with me. I simply stated the obvious.

Comment

You did state that.
                              And you asked the question about just buying cheap pickups and rewinding them.
                              How about this for an alternative.
                              You get known good parts, and the pickup is already assembled, all you do is add wire.
                              Mojotone Vintage Strat Pickup Kit

To Everyone!
                              I try to keep this a negative free sub-forum, for beginners and hobbyists.
                              You can make statements, suggestions, and the like, You can vent if you want to.
                              But, Please no arguing!
                              Everyone is Welcome!
                              Thanks,
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X