Marshall JCM 2000 Preventative Maintenance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 2000 Preventative Maintenance issues

Finally having cleaned out the broken gear shelves (at CenterStaging, Burbank, CA), I've been able to start in on Preventative Maintenance on our Rental Inventory, beginning with the Marshall JCM2000's. There were several that had never been into the shop (since I've been here) for over 5 years. Those who know the amp well, know that rear panel PCB & Bias Board is definitely optimum for causing amp failures if not caught in time.

Caught what? SOLDER FRACTURES. The Rear panel PCB assembly on the JCM2000 models, be it the TSL, the DSL50 & DSL100's all use the same board layout. What I find on EVERY one of these amps from constant road use is radial solder fractures around the Impedance Select Switch for staters. That's OPEN circuit on the OT....no output, while you're driving the amp open circuit. Also, the SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKS. 80% of what I've just gone thru....radial solder fractures on those as well.

There is a certain satisfying attribute to solder fractures, where it sometimes works and sometimes not....you can give the amp a big SLAP on the top, to wake it back up!! Until it stops again.

On the TSL, I've never seen one come in WITHOUT fractures on most of the 8-pin DIN Footswitch connector. Last one, every contact was fractured. Eh...didn't need the foot switch anyhow. XLR Direct Out....ALWAYS fractues on those contacts.

The +/- 15V supply dropping resistors.....fractures on those most of the time. AND, the Effects Loop jacks.

I.E, ANY of the REAR PANEL JACKS & HARDWARE that are used to support the PCB assembly......Marshall's engineering staff seems to believe (as so many other MFGR's do) you can support PCB's by their solder connections of panel mounted parts. Don't need no stinkin' mechanical support brackets that raise the cost half a buck! HAH!

The AC Mains board assy.....50% of those had radial fractues around the IEC 320 AC Mains connector, and many also had fractures on the AC & HT fuse posts.

Getting at the Bias board on these amps.....ya gotta pull the main PCB up to extract it. But, before getting to that, I had 25% of the power tube sockets with solder fractures. Sometimes had them on the filter caps, periodically on the elevated Screen & supply 5W resistors. All the rest of the parts on those boards...rarely find faults, as far as solder fractures go.

The bias board....all too often, radial fractures around one or more of the pot leads. (While I'm on those boards, I'll seep in some Caig DeOxit into the pot, and exercise it, then re-set it where it was for a starting point when it's powered back up). And same on the 7-pin connector, as well as on the 3-terminal header used for DMM connections externally.

De-solder, THEN Re-solder. NOT just add solder.

On the front panel boards, for starters, all the pot hardware is finger tight, if not already coming off. Most always solder fractures on the INPUT jack. The front panel pots....they do use a 2-point support bracket....BUT....Marshall's layout staff only used the thinnest Annular Ring around those tabs. Try and de-solder & re-solder to solidify those support tabs......you just broke the adhesion of the annular ring to the PCB!! Hate it when non-service folk do board layouts! You're etching all that copper (full sheet of it) and flushing it down the drain, when you COULD lay in substantial land area to anchor components to.

The small Reverb board over in the front left corner is usually ok.

The Reverb Tanks....biggest problem I find is the tiny IDC connectors carrying the two wires from the RCA connectors to the Tank's transformer terminals. They fail with the greatest of ease. Tack-solder them back on after they do. The tanks take a real beating over time, stressing & breaking the lead wires between the RCA's and the tank's XFMR's...normally the fault when there's no Reverb anymore.

When I get thru all the JCM2000 series, then it's on to the JCM900's. Similar rear panel PCB problems on those as with the 2000's.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Your 2000s must get beat around pretty good. I've yet to see most of those failures, and I've been here 10 years.

Comment

In my experience with rental units, this was a fairly common scenario. Lots and lots of resoldering.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Solder Joint Fracture Images Rear Panel PCB Assy

I didn't stop to photograph some of the really bad solder joint fractures found on the RP Impedance Select Switch, but I have added some photos that are typical. It always starts with radial hair-line fractures, then propagates into larger voids. Shown below are those of the Imped Switch, AC Mains Fuse Post & Effects Loop Jacks for starters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imped Select Sw -3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	835263 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imped Select Sw -5.jpg
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	835264 Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Input PCB Fuse Holder Failure-1.jpg
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	835265 Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Input PCB Fuse Holder Failure-2.jpg
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	835266 Click image for larger version

Name:	F-S & Efx Loop Jacks-2.jpg
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	835267

Comment

Ive repaired at least 30-40 jcm 2000 amps and they all had the same cracked joints as mentioned !

Comment

Now feeling a bit stupid, thinking about the PCB hole size Marshall provided on the Impedance Select Switch, with the PCB terminals of the switch being substantially less than 1/2 that diameter. I haven't been wrapping 20AWG Buss Wire around the terminals and tucking an end of that wire into the hole, then take the other end and wrap it around the other unused switch terminals, yielding redundant switch contacts. By doing that, there would be good hole fill, and probably no more joint failure.....at least on that switch. I think the main reason for that solder joint failure is there's too much unfilled hole. I gotta revise my method. Not sure if Marshall has a different switch that required that large hole diameter.

The rest, of course, is the constant deluge of vibration-induced, age-produced breakdown of solder joints.

Comment

Other faults also common in DSL/TSL:
              - Bad internal connection in the 16 Ohms jack contacts (disables other speaker outputs)
              - Malfunction of the ceramic capacitor between pins 3 and 4 of the EL34 (hum)
              - Fragile bridge rectifier for heaters

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
                Ive repaired at least 30-40 jcm 2000 amps and they all had the same cracked joints as mentioned !
                same here, same as the TSL122 sitting on the bench.

This one has the ac input jack broken,cracked.

At least it's got the newer main board without bias drift.

Comment

+1 on the solder joint issues in those!

Comment

I have recently worked on One DSL and One TSL...and yeah...I saw similar issues with the Wave Solder, or ROHS Solder, or whatever it is that cause these issues. I had no idea it was "pandemic".
                    Wow...I have less faith in Marshall now, than I did 2 days ago.
                    I worked on (you guys helped me at first) several TSL amps that had the "run-away" bias issues that Marshall said did not exist. Then when it became slap in the face obvious they had a problem, their answer was to SELL a replacement board for 200 bux.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zquNjKjsfw
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiE-DBtWC5I
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472E...0OYTnWIkoj8Sna

Comment

one more item to add: some boards use a 1/4 watt cathode resistor driving the tone stack.
                      Newer ones have a 1/2 watt mini 100k, so the 1/4watt ones should be replaced before they fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X