No announcement yet.

Gallien Krueger MB150e 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That SMPS was too hard to keep running, so GK came up with a linear supply to take its place. They no longer support that SMPS. In fact they stopped supporting those years ago.

Look left and right of the yellow transformer, the four devices screwed to the heat sink. They are soldered to the board but screwed to the sink. I have many time found the legs cracked or broken off right at the body of the part.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Welcome to the place!

First and for best results, you should start a new thread for your problem. This is a 5 year old thread and probably most are not paying attention to it any more. That aside, are you buying parts from a reputable source? There are many poorly constructed fakes out there these days. I also see what looks like a cold/cracked solder joint there that needs attention (circled red), whether that is the cause of the problem or not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56362[/ATTACH]
      Oh, you're right. But the amp and the problem associated with it seemed pretty much the same, so I considered not to cause any duplication on the same topic, but probably I will. About buying parts from local stores, I am aware that all the stuff I've purchased are Chinese knock-offs. They even might handle those imported pile of electronics with a shovel . I'll re-check all the paths and parts one by one! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        That SMPS was too hard to keep running, so GK came up with a linear supply to take its place. They no longer support that SMPS. In fact they stopped supporting those years ago.
        Oh, this is sad This means this is the end for amp's life huh? I have came across this thing yesterday. It says it is for MB series GK amps, but for newer ones obviously. Should I consider to buy a PS board replacement like this ?

Look left and right of the yellow transformer, the four devices screwed to the heat sink. They are soldered to the board but screwed to the sink. I have many time found the legs cracked or broken off right at the body of the part.
        Those are the parts I've checked at first, even before sending it to repair shop. It seems they are re-soldered, but not replaced . I'll double check those too. Thank you.

Comment

Those parts have to be soldered on after the fact, there is no way to solder them on when they make the board and have them fit the heat sink.

I have repaired numerous ones of these, but the factory doesn't stock parts for it.

I have no idea if that aftermarket PS board will fit your amp.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That module from Full Compass could probably be made to work if you can't fix the supply.
            It runs direct off the AC line for power and has aux out +/-25V to go to the preamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E0oHqxr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	907.4 KB
ID:	856322

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...6&d=1450132126
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi
              Sorry to dig out this again..I canb't see the schematics you attached, as I have the same -> 206-0071 , appreciate to have it if it s still by you? cheers. Otherwise I tried to measure the D532 (100-113) but on the multimeter it stays on 0.L while the only other one (110-113) on the edge, measure 0,7 or something...what does this mean? Thanks toi you all

Comment

The forum lost a lot of documents in an unavoidable circumstance some time ago. You might do better posting in the "schematic request" forum here. If it existed once upon a time there's a good chance someone has it. Tagging onto an old thread isn't always as effective so please post a new thread with a schematic request there.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The schematic link in post #13 works for me.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                  X