Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power supply transformer 26-0057-A for a Digitech VTP-1 Dual Channel Tube Preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply transformer 26-0057-A for a Digitech VTP-1 Dual Channel Tube Preamp?

Hi All!

I am in desperate need of an old part likely sitting on someone's back room junk shelf.

Specifically it is (Digitech part# 26-0057-A) the power transformer I am searching for... it mounts internally and was used on the Digitech VTP-1 Dual Channel Vacuum Tube Preamp, or on the Digitech VCS-1 Dual Channel Vacuum Tube Dynamics Processor.

After exhausting every possible conventional parts source I could think of, I have learned that this transformer is definitely no longer available from Harman (Digitech), nowhere in Europe, nor from the original designers in Canada, cannot be custom-rewound, etc.

So I am begging for someone to have a look if they have one of these old Digitech units mentioned above perhaps in a state of disrepair, but with a good working transformer still in it. I have included the schematic below to indicate the working AC voltages of the secondary taps driven by a 120VAC 60Hz primary configuration.

Someone MUST have one of these oldies laying about somewhere! Please get back to me asap if you know where one may be - thanks so much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	VTP-1-pag15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	868869

Bump - anyone out there got one???? I'm still looking for one - thanks!

Comment

Have you called the manufacturer? Unless someone is an authorized services or has a trashed unit I doubt you will have much luck. If you can give a spec or post a schematic we MIGHT be able to recommend a generic replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by lraudio View Post
        cannot be custom-rewound, etc.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]30523[/ATTACH]
        Not sure why not, you have all the specs there. If it can't be rewound, one could surely be custom wound from scratch. It will come down to the question of price.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I also don't understand why it cannot be rewound. A photo and an explanation could help. The preamp is in 2U rack enclosure and I suspect that the transformer used in the preamp is a typical toroidal transformer (40-50W core), which can be wound to your spec by many companies (and you have the spec). In Poland I know at least 3-4 companies that could do it. It is hard to believe that it cannot be custom wound for you by some Canadian company. Does it have a special core e.g. R-core? A photo could help.

Mark

Comment

Hi olddawg,

Schematic is posted via my original post.

I have spoken to all authorized service centers across the globe at least once this past year, including the original designer/manufacturer (located in Victoria, BC Canada) They graciously donated to me a beta version of the unit for donor parts, but that tranny was already toasted on that unit.

This leads me to believe there was an overheating issue with the production of that particular transformer. I have considered making my own transformer or patching in something that would work. Rewinding is out of the question - the core is split and laminated together and would likely require the original tooling to press/cook it back together.

I have a working version of this transformer in a different model Digitech unit, and will post you folks a pic asap. Thanks for the reply!!

Comment

Hi MarkusBass,
              Thanks for the reply! I will try grab a pic asap to help with my explanation - maybe I'm seeing this incorrectly but I do not think it can be rewound, and the original manufacturer also said it is not possible to rewind. Will post soon! ~ Larry

Comment

Hey g1,
                Thanks for the reply! Yes, price is the stickler here... thinking I should just make an external supply with a multi-pin jack on my unit and be done with it - all I need is the unit working, and not really caring about it's restoration valuse anymore . I am just trying to find the original tranny for simplicity sake only. Hmmmm..... saw a surplus sale a while back for a multi-out digital supply.... might have to hack/chop that unit! ~ Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lraudio View Post
                  but I do not think it can be rewound, and the original manufacturer also said it is not possible to rewind.
                  We mentioned several options: if this is a toroidal transformer and it cannot be rewound, I still don't see a reason why you cannot wound a new transformer (since you have the specification). This is what manufacturer does on a daily basis so why you can't do the same? As I mentioned, I know several companies (just around the corner) that can do it. I could even do it by myself at home but I consider this to hard work and I prefer to pay someone else to do the job for me. Please post a photo of the transformer because the problem seems to be more complex than I can imagine.

Mark

Comment

Dear LRAudio, given what Markus says, maybe some Polish transformer maker can wind a custom one at a reasonable price.
                    It wouldn't hurt to ask for a price quotation,you might be surprised.
                    jm2c .
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks Juan, I'm sure that the price would be competitive (and the quality good) but I'm afraid that a package from Poland to Canada is at least $50. So the total cost will be not that attractive. Instead, I suggest to call guys here: Transformers in British Columbia (BC) on ThomasNet.com and ask whether they can wound a 50W toroidal transformer to your specification.

PS: in google I see many of such companies and I checked only British Columbia and Ontario. I'm still wondering what exactly is the problem. Please post a photo of the transformer in order to solve the mystery .

@Juan: just to let you know the price range of such transformers in Poland, here is an example:
                      http://allegro.pl/transformator-lamp...610069979.html
                      custom wound toroidal 120W transformer with 6 windings for a tube amp - about 55 USD with delivery.
                      The one that is needed should be somewhere between 40 and 50W, has more windings - I would say maybe 40 USD.

Mark
                      Last edited by MarkusBass; 08-25-2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

If it is rack mount. Why can't you source a generic transformer (or two) and mount it outside or on the cabinet. Who would know?

Comment

Working...
                        X