"Flatpups" pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Beer View Post
    I guess this would be because it's seeing a fairly wide section of the string, but it has a definite humbucker quality about it while still retaining decent definition. It's not noisy either, even without a string ground.
    I think it is the pole pieces that define the string sampling.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      Did you get the MR model?
      If so, maybe the aluminum pickup ring also mellows the tone(?)
      Maybe some, but I expect the side wise (horizontal) coils are much less capable of inducing eddy currents in the ring than vertical coils are.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        Did you get the MR model?
        If so, maybe the aluminum pickup ring also mellows the tone(?)
        Mine is one of the brass covered models without the mounting ring. The brass cover is very thin and doesn't extend around the ends of the pickup. It's not crazily dark sounding, it's just that the low number of winds might have led me to expect something very thin and bright so I was pleasantly surprised by the mellowness of it.

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
        I think it is the pole pieces that define the string sampling.
        I think you may be right, as I tried floating a vibrating tuning fork over the face of the pickup and it was loudest over the magnets in the centre, tailing off towards the edges.

Comment

Elmar,

Thank you for coming on this forum and discussing your design. Your pickups appear to be very well made and I think the sliding magnet to adjust string response idea is brilliant. I also like that you have thought through and offer different mounting options and also different visual looks.

I hope you are prepared for a lot more demand for your very reasonably priced products.

One of these days I would like to talk to you about having you make a low impedance version of your flat pup, wound with AWG #34 to AWG #36, or buying the pickup unwound from you. But this may have to wait because you may get even busier soon making your regular products.

All the best,

Charlie

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Charlie. For certain reasons I decided to keep the production at a small scale; that's why I only take orders till my monthly capacity is full. Anyways, feel free to pm me once you would like to give it a go.
            If you want to get an insight of my production, look for "flatpup pickup winder" at youtube.com The video shows the automatic wirw feed. As you can see, it's far from industrial ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X