Laney vc15 PT failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney vc15 PT failure

I all, new to the forum, sorry for going straight in with a question.
    I have a laney vc15 valve amp which last week packed up.
    I suspect power transformer failure as theres evidence of melting on the plastic covers on the windings and plastic "bubbling" on a wire coming off it to the first valve.
    I have a new pt from a laney authoriised dealer 6094/240v which i'll get fitted this week.
    Now , the mains led never worked (bought it used) but last week came on intermittantly when using the drive button), then after a little while playing there was a loss of tone and the sound became quite dull.
    Are these the symptoms of a failed p/t?
    Also does this amp need to be switched off immediately when not in use?my mate also has the same amp and argues that it should be left on most of the time - surely this is wrong?

Welcome..

Is the amp working fully ? As for the LED i not sure. Check the soldering. I would recmd you check the schematic and make sure the voltages are all present and correct. If they are correct. My gut feeling is the PT is ok
    Most valve amps have a standby switch. This switch will kill the HT voltage to the amp but keep the tube heaters on. A valve amp won't sound its best until the tubes have been on for at least 5 mins. i do a whole gig with my amp on when im not playing the standby is switched off.If you are going to use the amp keep it on. if you have finished switch it off.

I know the laneys and the power transformers are not there strong point.I normally get a transformer maker to make me a tx for the LC/VC range.
    There is a possibility that the output tubes are shot. a duff tube could of taken the PT out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VC15small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	835323
    So the quickest route is check the voltages and if correct. replace the EL84's.for new ones. Don't go down the route of sticking any old tube in. Only ones you know are good. Stay clear of old mullards,for these laneys

BBB
    Last edited by blindboybenton; 09-15-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X