Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50's Danelectro Tube Tremolo (Vibrato) circuits, Octal tube, which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing is that, since the trem section is on one side of the field coil, what tube goes in V6 makes a big difference in the strength of the magnetic field generated by the coil and hence the volume of the amp. The more current draw, the more voltage across the coil, the stronger the field. A 6v6 leaves almost no clean headroom and a volume not much above conversational levels; a 6L6 gives reasonable volume with some clean headroom. Neither make the trem work.

This amp, alone among anything I've ever seen, seems to absolutely require a certain tube set to work at all. Wrong power tubes = wrong load which throws the heater voltage on the preamp tubes way off, bias on the power tubes way off (since the DC preamp tube heaters are connected to the bias, which in turn is connected to everything else). Can't substitute rectifier tubes either, only a 5Y3 makes the thing work right. Obviously there is some tube that will make the trem work when inserted at V6, since there are no bad parts in that circuit. Anything else won't cut it.

The other odd thing is, though it is clearly a fixed bias, grounded cathode amp with dissipation around 70% at idle with various 6L6s in the power sockets, it acts a lot like a class A amp in that Ia drops when not at idle, and never goes above idle current.

Comment

Silvertone 1333 uses 6SJ7 for tremolo. No field coil speaker....

Comment

Originally posted by wizard333 View Post
        For those familiar with those type of amps, which octal tube did they tend to use for the trem circuit?
        I would bet that the tube in question is the 6Y6G. Its pinout matches your amp's wiring and is what was used in the Danelectro Maestro field coil tremolo circuit from the early 50's along with a 12SJ7 for the oscillator circuit, but Danelectro also used the 6SJ7 as the oscillator valve in other amps of the mid-50's that had a 6.3V heater winding rather than a 12.6V winding.

What is the rest of your amp's tube complement?

Comment

Hello Wizard 5years ago you had this thread going, I just found and purchased a 56 Wabash Deluxe and am trying to figure out the trem circuit and also what is correct speaker load since mine has a non original speaker in it. If you are still on this forum or if anyone else can help it would be most appreciated....thx!

Comment

Working...
          X