Banana Jack Amp Kit - No-solder Amplifier Kit on Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    ...this thing is assembled already - apparently - all you do is configure the segments. So no one has to learn or be able to solder anything.
    The modules are pre-assembled, yes; no end-user soldering necessary. And the student does simply "configure the segments". But there's plenty of opportunity for learning because of (not in spite of) this arrangement. The student, for example, can move volume and tone control modules around and hear the effect; he can quickly replace, say, an EL84 power stage with a 6V6 power stage and see what happens; he can easily swap out a vacuum-tube rectifier module for a plug-compatible solid state module and compare the results.

And the more advanced student, who does know how to solder and use a drill, will be able to purchase our cases with or without pre-installed banana jacks and thus design and assemble his own modules to insert in his circuit as he sees fit.

All in all, it's kind of like a large "breadboard" for tube amp circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      ...when a kit is sold, it is sold as a pile of parts and not a working piece of electronic equipment, therefore not requiring any sort of compliance with anything.
      Yes, that's my understanding as well. We do plan, nevertheless, to provide clear warnings, cautions, and other admonitions to safe usage on nearly every page of our instructions. After all, we're not trying to make a quick buck selling shoddy merchandise here; we're pretty much selling these kits at cost. We're just trying to make learning about valve amps easy and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
        How much would they actually be? And would they actually be inexpensive as implied/promised?
        Anyone who backs the project with $270 will receive a complete nine-module kit for that price with free shipping in the USA. We hope to get the price of mass-produced units somewhat below that, if possible.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but those would be some of my suspicions as well. Does he need $39,000 for something else?
        One can always find something to do with an extra $39,000. But Kickstarter requires that project owners either deliver as promised, or return the funds donated. About 9% of the total collected goes to Kickstarter and Amazon Payments, leaving us with about $35,500. Parts and labor on a nine-module kit total right about $270, which accounts for $27,000 of that (assuming, as is reasonable, that we'll have to make 100 such kits when the project is fully funded). That leaves $8,500. We expect that rent on a small shop, tooling, lesser rewards, packaging, and shipping will eat that up. In short, this project is offered essentially as a public service; it's a labor of love for us.

...so these plastic modules(put together successfully) is actually going to be some guitar player's idea of a "dream amp"?
        Possibly. Depends on how big their dreams are. And on how much prior experience they have. There's always something special about your "first"...

And they are going to do what? Carry them around like this?
        Obviously not -- unless they're using them for the education of others. The typical student will no doubt design a suitable head or combo cabinet and install our modules in that. Or simply set them aside as "completed homework" (perhaps selling them on eBay) and move up to more difficult soldering-required kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
          These amps are so layout dependent you cannot build blocks like this to make a decent sounding amp.
          Surprisingly, you can make a decent sounding amp out of modules like this. There's one right there in our video. And there's another one (a modified design) sitting on my bench now. Note that our modules make it easy to experiment with different layouts, as well.

Comment

Moderators, this is crossing the line, it's one thing to solicit opinions to develop his product, it's another thing to come here and pitch and promote his product. I don't think the forum should be used for free advertizing.

Someone should report abuse to the forum, I did not find how to do this in the main forum page.

Comment

Thank you for being a good sport and responding. Now please address the safety concerns several of us discussed. For example my concern that a banana plugged into B+ source and left un-connected at the other end is a free B+ sitting exposed. Building a Champ clone at least all the wiring is inside the chassis.

Is it a kit is a kit is a kit? Or is ther a basic starter pack, and then you can add other modules? Maybe a pentode gain stage to contrast to a triode stage. Different phase inverters.

In a way this is like a hardware version of the Peavey ReValver.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Rzeppa View Post
                Anyone who backs the project with $270 will receive a complete nine-module kit for that price with free shipping in the USA. We hope to get the price of mass-produced units somewhat below that, if possible.

Parts and labor on a nine-module kit total right about $270
                a budding guitar player with not much money can buy a pre-assembled tube amp (with less risk of fatal electric shock, and with a small combo cab including small speaker and a handle) for that much money, so I'm not sure how this kit has any appeal especially for someone without much to spend. Also, I'm assuming $270 doesn't include a cab or speaker, so that would seem to be even less of a "user assembled dream amp". And the kit is supposed to appeal to someone who finds the tech stuff too difficult and "nerdy", but places full B+ on an exposed male banana plug...

Comment

OK, that's what I thought.

I did this as an experiment. I thought the promoter was scanning for forums mentioning his idea and would sign up and chime in to tout the idea if it came up in a forum. Turns out, I was right. Much this same process has happened other places - a mention of it gets entered, Gerry signs up and comes on with loving decriptions of how very wonderful it is, and then the discussion devolves into him defending it's shortcomings at great length.

In internet lingo, it's not quite a troll, but it has that effect. I'm guessing this is the first instance I've noticed at least of what could be described as an implicit troll - it's not necessarily to just generate conflict, but has that effect. It's possible that Gerry is running on the idea that any publicity is good publicity. Who knows? In any case, he's immune to constructive criticism.

My technical opinion is that there are serious safety issues with this setup. Gerry's response to that is to deny, deflect, and distort. Oh, well. Sigh. What you gonna do?

One can only hope that no one gets killed as a result of the resistance to criticism.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Rzeppa View Post
                    Surprisingly, you can make a decent sounding amp out of modules like this. There's one right there in our video
                    WRONG!!! that clip sounds like crap, i could build a better sounding amp with an LM386. not bragging just wanted to say that clip is terrible.

most of my other points have been made already by the members of this forum. i am new here, however an Amp Garage regular. as Leo_Gnardo stated, his account was de-activated as he was acting inappropriately with ridiculous questions and responding to anybody with a credible answer with more ignorant superiority... you all have a good laugh at this and dont let him "use" you for his own personal gain, in the form of advertising, or information to repackage as a dangerous BAD idea

its a BAD dangerous idea that sounds like crapola Gerry, not sorry, shame on you

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                      I thought the promoter was scanning for forums mentioning his idea and would sign up and chime in to tout the idea if it came up in a forum. Turns out, I was right. Much this same process has happened other places - a mention of it gets entered, Gerry signs up and comes on with loving decriptions of how very wonderful it is, and then the discussion devolves into him defending it's shortcomings at great length.
                      Yeah, I feel bad for bringing it up over at TAG but I only did there because of Gerry's delightful recent history. Still, it's sending page views his way. Thankfully there's almost zero chance of anyone here sending this guy a dime, let alone him raising enough money to meet his goal.

I just have to take a deep breath and remember, "extra greenies are stored in the capacitor..."

Comment

Yeah, but Gerry's spirited defense won't help with the real problem - it's not safe.

It still remains to be seen whether (1) the kickstarter fund target will be reached; that's looking dim at the moment, and if it's reached (2) whether he'll use the funds to do the project, or dissipate them frivolously as happened with another kickstarter project on pedals which was mentioned but shall remain nameless here.

A concerted disregard for safety considerations tends to suggest that the focus is on the money, not the product.

But I've been wrong before.
                        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

Touche, RG.

But it is an interesting looking project.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, it does look neat, just not for the stated purposes. Good learner setup, although I'm not sure how much real learning about tube amps could happen without the user understanding something of what goes on under the plexiglass. Kind of like alphabet blocks might be an entre to learning letterpress printing, although you'd never actually do it that way in practice and the learner stuff isn't all that durable for more than trivial examples.

We'll see.

Comment

Won't speculate on the obscure reasons which might be behind this but definitely making this product is not one of them, for the very good reason that even U$39000 is ludicrously not enough to produce a new commercial amp.

Commercial meaning that more money comes out than is initially put in, of course.

I don't care about "parts" cost but the initial investment to get production rolling.

The claim that less than U$10000 will cover that, plus salaries, rent, running expenses, machine buying (even a bench drill press, a couple slodering irons ........ etc. etc. etc.) , freight cost, transport, signing up at local IRS/State agencies, etc. is ludicrous.

A very small Factory, say a couple partners already producing amps might tackle that because they already have the production unit running so it would be "an extra job"... but his description hints that so far it's just a guy with a computer ... a lot needs to be thrown in before producing 100 of anything.

Just getting the 900 acrylic cases is a problem and very expensive, if they are thick enough to stand parts weight (I loved the OT being held by just 2 screws in the mid line) .

But that's nothing, they still must be drilled without cracking , splitting, even scratching the soft transparent surface

And many holes are large (sockets0 ... and the IEC connector isn't even round .

The prototype shown was probably made with a CNC machine.

Very versatile, but sloooooow.

Also source 100 transformers of each type, etc.

An then the blocks must be actually built and wired .... by hand of course.

The product must be properly packed and shipped.

Somebody must keep track of orders, follow them up, deal with complaints .... even simple shipping problems (hey !!! somebody must have dropped the package because some acrylic cases are cracked !!!!) , etc.

What about warranty claims?

Insurance just in case somebody gets shocked or even **claims** his hair fell because of this amp?

No, no way this is actually meant to be made and sold.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                                I liked the "most helpful customer review" of his book on amazon: "painfully obtuse"
                                Apparently you missed the reviews that said, for example,

"This is a very nice little work, and the author's faith and humanity come through wonderfully. The poetry is not Dante, the thought is not Plato. Nor does it have to be. It's just a charming personal expression that raises questions and ideas that a reader might want to ponder. If not, not. Why all these silly whining reviews are here is beyond me. (And for that matter, the font is not so difficult to read. I'm 57, and read it without my glasses.)" [It turns out that the complaints about the font were from people who were never taught how to read cursive!]

"I suppose some people aren't into having you ponder anything that isn't in line with their thinking. Hence the obvious and ham-handed tactics."

"Highly recommended to children's picture book shelves everywhere."

"It's a beautiful hardcover book I will want to read again and again. Its rhythmic and lyrical style is fun to read aloud. I can't wait to share it with my grandson and hear what he has to say about it."

"This clever and deceptively simple poem is full of delightful surprises! Although it is appropriate to be read to children, it also encompasses such concepts as specified complexity, the necessity of a soul, and many basic tenants of information theory."

"I truly enjoyed this touching, wise and wonderful work, and definitely liked the style of poetry."

"When I first got this book, I read it 4 or 5 times... I had to go back and read it a couple more times - a little more slowly (it's a quick read). I now fully appreciate the depth of the book. It's a read I would recommend for all."

"Gerry Rzeppa has done a masterful job in writing this book. From the beautiful images to the rich paper. I love how he takes you through your own thought process as we ask the same questions the boy does."

By the way, you can read the story, for free, here: Some of the Parts. But it's much nicer in hardcover. Write me directly (gerry.rzeppa@pobox.com) and I'll send you one, gratis.

Comment

Working...
                                X