Banana Jack Amp Kit - No-solder Amplifier Kit on Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana Jack Amp Kit - No-solder Amplifier Kit on Kickstarter

Just curious. What do you think of this?

Banana Jack Amp Kit

I have my own opinions, but I'd like to see how it strikes others.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

2 things strike me right away.

1) They called us nerds.

2) There are dangerous voltages present in a tube amp. They appear to be directly marketing to a demographic that has no business inside any amp. Let the law suits begin.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Gerry's kickstarter has been a subject of discussion at our friendly neighbors' The Amp Garage for a couple days now. He was on TAG fishing for ideas the previous couple months then had his membership suspended after it became obvious he was trying to "crowd source" ideas for his commercial venture. Those who wish, can have a look at his threads on TAG, search his name Gerry Rzeppa. There's a long hilariously stupid one about comparing electronic theory to plumbing. As we know, the analogies only go so far. It appears Gerry's forte' is not electronics. What's the words to that old song? "She wants to be a banker but she just don't know how." It's like that.

The current kickstarter thread is here:

The Amp Garage :: View topic - Gerry's got a kickstarter

have fun!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'm going to "Kickstart" a munitions kit where you can build the weapon of your choice with building blocks and market it as a learning tool to small children.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          I'm going to "Kickstart" a munitions kit where you can build the weapon of your choice with building blocks and market it as a learning tool to small children.
          Haw, haw, dude! Gerry beat ya to it! In fact, I'm sure I could fashion something guaranteed to blow up in a few short minutes

A couple thoughts on the kit: Is there something that prevents me from plugging a 'red' banana plug into a 'green' jack? If there is, I don't see it. I am assuming that any kit marketed as a 'learning tool' would follow the 40V rule. If not, yeah then murder and mayhem will result. Looking at the schemo I see that the signal output of the triode modules is not AC coupled prior to the banana jack output. That doesn't seem well thought-out, allowing our high voltage DC to come out where we can play with it. Plus, I see from one picture it's possible (even encouraged!) to pull the plastic boxes apart to more closely inspect the elements. If I was 9 years old, I'd FOR SURE open the sucker up while it was plugged in. Kinda makes me wonder how I made it this far...

edit: Oh, yeah... I listened to the sound clip. Noisy and low-gain. This REALLY has to be some kind of April Fool's joke, right?
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Gerry's kickstarter has been a subject of discussion at our friendly neighbors' The Amp Garage for a couple days now. He was on TAG fishing for ideas the previous couple months then had his membership suspended after it became obvious he was trying to "crowd source" ideas for his commercial venture. Those who wish, can have a look at his threads on TAG, search his name Gerry Rzeppa. There's a long hilariously stupid one about comparing electronic theory to plumbing. As we know, the analogies only go so far. It appears Gerry's forte' is not electronics. What's the words to that old song? "She wants to be a banker but she just don't know how." It's like that.

The current kickstarter thread is here:

The Amp Garage :: View topic - Gerry's got a kickstarter

have fun!
            Is a lot of you guys working or designing amps for living and come here to share and ask questions? I don't particular see a problem of soliciting opinions. Unless there are more to it that I missed.

Like the Trainwreck thread Chuck started, there is nothing wrong to me that if he gets his answer, he turn around and build and sell a true Trainwreck clone.

Back to the thread, I don't particularly think it's a good idea. First it's dangerous if someone think this is like electronic kits like you can get in radio Shack for kids. Then I don't think you can go beyond like the kid's kits that demo working or not working. These amps are so layout dependent you cannot build blocks like this to make a decent sounding amp.

Comment

Worse than plugging a red one into a blue hole, how about plugging a red one into the power source, and not plugging the other end in at all. There will be B+ on an exposed banana male.

It is fun at first glance. In fact it reminds me of a trainer system we had in high school electronics. Each bench had this rack, and the rack held modules. Rectifier, amplifier, detector, oscillator, whatever. There were little strips of phenolic with a banana on each end. Wired banana to banana would be some component. So I could unplug the 100k plate resistor and stick in a 220k for example. Eventually, we filled the rack and all the modules formed a working superhet radio AM receiver. We did various exercises to trace signals and locate bad components the teacher had put in. exposed voltages, but we were under the supervision of the teacher.

If these modules were glued shut, then maybe, but it looks like they snap open WITHOUT TOOLS so prying fingers will not be denied.

I do worry that all the spread out circuits with zero shielding and jumper wires all over, those are not shielded jumpers. It's going to be noisy and prone to picking up noise.

I'd have to pass on it myself. it has some idea potential, but the execution has too many problems. I don't worry that it winds up not very special as amps go. It is like those 30-in-1 electronics kits like Radio Shack sells. You can make a radio. it isn't a great radio, but you put it together with your own hands and voila, it works. That would be its value, not that it would be a valued amp to gig with.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Besides ridiculous and dangerous, it's a plain lie, because he is NOT building an amp without soldering at all .

He's not plugging capacitors, resistors, any electronics elements ... which by the way you really do on those Radio Shack kits using Fahnestock Clips (I bet Enzo knows them )

Of course those RS projects use only a 9V power source.
                Although in the 30's and 40's:

All this ridiculous project does is interconnect ready built (obviously soldered ) modules.

Then he's no better than any modern guitar setup (which by the way uses plugs and shielded wire and only handles signal or less than 24V power) where you plug your guitar into one or many pedals which plug into a head which plugs into an amp ... which is plugged into a proper outlet with a safe, approved power ....... plug

Personally I think he either is mad or (probably) a Con man, who knows what a lot of Musicians would love to do so he solicits money.
                Already U$1500 or so (not bad) and he mightn meet his much higher goal.

Will he actually make them commercially?

Doubt so.
                Attached Files
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I wish I had my computer... this is the Voltron amp. Anyone got a pic of the lion guy handy? Everybody get a piece, and we'll meet up at Johnny's on Saturday to put it all together.

I guess as an "advanced beginner" concept, I don't mind. But I also know how to not kill myself. My favorite part? The clear plastic container that IS easily opened and tinkered with. I'd take one as a gift, amd fix it up. I certainly would not give one to my 11 year old as a Christmas present.

I see the same kind of trend in all the kids' "building" toys. The pieces are so specialized and large thay t you can only use it for the purpose it was intended for i the origonal set. In other words, there's not a whole lot of creativity and "building whatever your imagination gives you" anymore. Hell, I'll take wood blocks or Tinker Toyz over any modern Lego set... Is this amp configurable in more than one way? Meh. Nifty idea, but finish the product BEFORE putting it on the market and issuing updates later!

Justin

Edit: I'm a nerd? Most actual nerds I know are trying to convince that I have a suicide wish for working with those hot dangerous vacuum tubes, I have a death wish for the planet because they're so inefficient, and why would I use technology that is so feebly incapable of doing anything important or spectacular. I prefer the title Mad Scientist myself. Nerds have no sense of adventure. MY creations help guys go out and get chicks! Just kidding on that last part...
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Well years ago I recall an economics student telling me there's always an untapped market , it's just a matter of finding it.
                    I think this untapped market is too small , I can't see many on this forum buying it for example.
                    It will appeal to kids but once you assemble it there is nothing left to do.
                    Mum or Dad and their credit card will be the deciding factor.
                    Needs adult supervision.. and if dad want's to get involved I suspect they would rather spend on one of the many
                    dare I say "proper kits" where manual dexterity and coordination will benefit.
                    It seems more like something you would find in an educational institution as a small part of an electronics course.
                    Create interest and provide a break from theory.
                    If I were to buy some thing like that I would rather look at littleBits cloudBit: Snap the Internet to Anything or Arduino based type of thing
                    which is perfectly safe and from scratch, can actually create something useful like an alarm when the dog lies in his
                    basket .. a open door alarm etc etc this is more practical than a nerdish guitar amp that wouldn't survive a night in the pub!
                    Much more value for money and educational also hopefully could lead to employment in the digital age!

Apart from that it would never be allowed to be sold in Australia .. wouldn't pass the safety standards as others have commented on.

The modular approach here is really a gimmick whereas with Arduino or whatever it would be impossible for a beginner
                    to solder smd microprocessors etc so the modular approach makes more sense.

Anyway who wants a plastic amp !

Comment

Yes, it really does look like part of some educational presentation or classroom props rather than something one would use.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        Hey Juan,......I think I see a bad cable there.

Comment

Well, he does address the safety question at the bottom of the kickstarter page. Maybe not to my satisfaction, but maybe enough to dispel the doubts of potential backers who don't know much about high voltage hazards.
                          But maybe he has a point. You can buy any kind of amp kit to build yourself and they are just as dangerous.
                          The part I don't get is the "design your own" bit, what exactly are you designing? JM has a good point, interconnecting a pedal board in the order you like is the same kind of "designing".

Edit: Oh, wait a sec, is this the same Gerry Rzeppa I found on the Google?
                          I liked the "most helpful customer review" of his book on amazon: "painfully obtuse"
                          Last edited by g1; 09-17-2014, 04:14 AM.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The difference, as I see it, is this:

In his spiel, he infers that you need no electronics knowledge to tinker with his kit. He's marketing to the "average" guitar player that knows little to nothing about electronics. It'd be particularly appealing to them since there's no soldering involved. By contrast, a typical amp kit is sold with the understanding that you need at least minimal electronics experience to be able to properly assemble it and make it work. The "average" guitar player would not likely attempt it.

The auto mechanics guide to brain surgery, if you will.

Comment

I'd agree, this thing is assembled already - apparently - all you do is configure the segments. So no one has to learn or be able to solder anything.

As to claiming it is safe because it is not less safe than these other kits - which themselves are not safe - I am not convinced. it may be a groovy thing, but is no more safe than any other exposed wiring sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X