Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melody Maker pickups

Hello,
    I just saw a Melody Maker pickup with the cover removed. It seems to be just wire wrapped around a magnet. I would like to know if it is just that simple.
    Also if that is the case how are the poles of the magnet oriented ? North South on the edges or North South on the flat sides.
    If it is just a magnet wrapped in wire, couldn't a low output single coil emulate a reasonable simulation of the sound ? Or a low output blade ?

It would be magetized on the edges.
    Here's some good pictures of the CN brand of a melody maker.
    CurtisNovak.com - Pickups and Guitars:Stealth ES-120 (Melody Maker Pickup)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=melo...w=1252&bih=543
    Here's a Mojo Strat version.
    Strat Blade Flatwork Set
    This is one of the magnets that can be used in the flatwork.
    http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...net-2-180-Long
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Hello,
      Thanks t. I looked at the Google search. I seems they are all over the place. Being as some have P90's is it possible that a Texas Special type would be a reasonable substitute for a P90 Melody Maker pickup. I know there are a lot of differences but the general design is quiet similar. I am thinking I could get the bite and rawness like a P90 and mold the sound with capacitors, also the ceramics may help.

Comment

IMO you can accomplish similar results with blades and conventional Single coils.
        One thing to keep in mind with SCs is some are tall and some have short winding areas between the flats.
        A P-90 has a 1/4" - 5/16" winding area between the flats.
        This makes a strong Fat sounding pickup.
        Opposed to a Strat SC, which has a .430" winding area between the flats.
        You get a crisp brighter sounding pickup.
        This can be varied by using longer or shorter rod magnets on fender type pickups.
        I use that approach to tailor the sound of a Fender type pickup.
        The magnet length and the height between the flats can determine the tone.
        One advantage to using a blade type pickup, is it eliminates the pole spacing alignment problems.
        Lots of varibles with different Single Coil pickups.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jahyvfv99hyi6t050pnh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	835348

pretty much it, but there is a nylon bobbin. I have 2 of them from a 71 SG200. the magnets are the polepieces, and the same mags used int late PAFs, patent sticker and T-top humbuggies.

cheers,
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]30579[/ATTACH]

pretty much it, but there is a nylon bobbin. I have 2 of them from a 71 SG200. the magnets are the polepieces, and the same mags used int late PAFs, patent sticker and T-top humbuggies.
            cheers,
            Can you give some idea of wire size used and DCR?
            Thanks,
            Terry

Comment

Yes Nylon Bobbin with a bucker magnet & Not the best sounding pickups ,That's why we used to remove them from Melody makers & some of the cheap SG's & install a P-90 or a Humbuckers in them .
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hello,
                How about a 1/8"x1/2 or 3/4 blade, 1/4" to 5/16" spacing using fiber flat work , and a ceramic magnet on the bottom ? That would give the blade the same magnetic orientation. It would also maybe give it the same inductance ? As some people use the vintage ones to preform, I would like to come close to the original sound. I know the sound is not to write home about but it seems to have found a niche with some players. It seems to be similar to the raunchy crude sound some people seek in PAF's and unpotted P90's

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                  Hello,
                  some people use the vintage ones to preform, I would like to come close to the original sound. I know the sound is not to write home about but it seems to have found a niche with some players. It seems to be similar to the raunchy crude sound some people seek in PAF's and unpotted P90's
                  true
                  Even PAF's were unpopular at some point

Comment

There usually around 7k seen a bunch of them from 6.8k to 7.2k & south up magnet polarity
                    wound with 42 gauge poly wire
                    just checked the 2 I have with Gibson Embossed covers & in circuit they read 6.98k & 7.12k

Comment

Copper, can you tell if the originals wound CW, or CCW?
                      Then we would know the original Polarity, and wind direction?
                      Thanks,
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

The original melody maker bridge pickup in 1959 and 1960 was larger and way different then the ones afterwards. The bobbins consisted of an upper and lower, thin fiber board flatwork held together with 2 very thin brass plates bent into a u channel. The magnet was then slipped into this channel and the core was taped around the channel and magnet. These were very good sounding pickups unlike the later ones. Also they used long bar magnets, and were wound CCW with south polarity.
                        Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                          The original melody maker bridge pickup in 1959 and 1960 was larger and way different then the ones afterwards. The bobbins consisted of an upper and lower, thin fiber board flatwork held together with 2 very thin brass plates bent into a u channel. The magnet was then slipped into this channel and the core was taped around the channel and magnet. These were very good sounding pickups unlike the later ones. Also they used long bar magnets, and were wound CCW with south polarity.
                          Hello,
                          Where could I find the exact specs on that pickup (59-60) ? I would really like to know the inner height between the flatwork, and dimensions overall. That would be something easily duplicated, It would also have endless possibilities for modifications and experimentation. If you can point me in the direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

If it were me, I would stick with the P-90 or a Humbucker.
                            A lot of work to make a forbon blade and still just have a single coil with hum.
                            But, that's strictly IMO.
                            Terry

Comment

They are pretty close to a strat size bobbin Inever measured the magnet ,so wouldn't the mojotone bobbin work ...Who knows ? maybe maybe not ......
                              Strat Blade Flatwork Set

Comment

Working...
                              X