Marshall JCM900 Channel Switching & Pedal Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM900 Channel Switching & Pedal Wiring

It had been some time since I got hoodwinked by the JCM900 and the footpedal having LED's inside. I'm going thru all the rental inventory's JCM900's doing preventative maintenance (haven't found ONE amp NOT requiring repairs or tweaks!). The one on the bench has the Front Panel Ch Switch that only works when upside down. Then, the internal latch mechanism in the switch works, but right side up, it's Momentary only. Useful function.

So, went across the street to fetch a JCM 900 Pedal. Years back, I had gone thru those pedals, where the REVERB Switch Button required the LED in series, but the CH Switch Button required the LED to be in series with a resistor, with that resistor/LED network wired ACROSS the switch in Shunt Mode. Huh? With no pedal plugged in, the TIP is Grounded via the jack's NORMAL. Plug in a pedal (or open ckt TRS Plug), you break the normal, and the voltage divider across the TIP turns on the MPS A13, which switches the M5201 Switching IC, switching to CH B, same as pushing the FP switch IN. So, to have the Pedal LED work, the Resistor (2.2k typ) in series with the LED goes across the Switch.

What I brought back were pedals with both LED's in series with the switches. Reverb works fine, Ch Switch doesn't work, but the LED lights up OPPOSITE that of the panel switch. Cute. And, the FP switch only works with the amp upside down.

Now, I only have one circuit diagram on hand for the JCM900, where it's labeled 2500, 2501, 2502, 2100 & 2101

It seemed to me I had come across some other JCM900's whose Channel Switches worked WITH the LED IN SERIES with the switch, just like that for the REVERB. But, I can't find any of those notes in my database, so might just be aging memory problems.

IS the STANDARD wiring for JCM 900 Dual Pedals HAVING LED'S (on the pedal): Reverb: LED in series with the Switch; Channel: LED with Series Resistor wiired ACROSS the Switch????
    Last edited by nevetslab; 09-18-2014, 10:30 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

If it's the dual reverb, it's a 4100. Dunno if the attached will help.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the schematic.....that's much clearer then the 5th generation copy of the other rendition I had. Function of the Ch Switch looks the same, it being the topic of the moment.

Comment

I forgot to mention...on the dual LED Pedal for the JCM 900's we have, Reverb LED lights up when Reverb is OFF. Ch Switch Lights up for Ch B (along with Panel Switch LED). Seems like there oughta be a mod out there to make the REVERB LED light up when the Reverb is ON. I haven't made a project out of this...just going thru inventory getting amps to work at the moment.

Comment

Are you sure these are the correct switches?

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            So, went across the street to fetch a JCM 900 Pedal. Years back, I had gone thru those pedals, where the REVERB Switch Button required the LED in series, but the CH Switch Button required the LED to be in series with a resistor, with that resistor/LED network wired ACROSS the switch in Shunt Mode. Huh?
            Right.
            With no pedal plugged in, the TIP is Grounded via the jack's NORMAL. Plug in a pedal (or open ckt TRS Plug), you break the normal, and the voltage divider across the TIP turns on the MPS A13, which switches the M5201 Switching IC, switching to CH B, same as pushing the FP switch IN. So, to have the Pedal LED work, the Resistor (2.2k typ) in series with the LED goes across the Switch.
            Right.

What I brought back were pedals with both LED's in series with the switches. Reverb works fine, Ch Switch doesn't work, but the LED lights up OPPOSITE that of the panel switch. Cute.
            As you found, that's a wrong wiring.

It seemed to me I had come across some other JCM900's whose Channel Switches worked WITH the LED IN SERIES with the switch, just like that for the REVERB. But, I can't find any of those notes in my database, so might just be aging memory problems.

IS the STANDARD wiring for JCM 900 Dual Pedals HAVING LED'S (on the pedal): Reverb: LED in series with the Switch; Channel: LED with Series Resistor wiired ACROSS the Switch????
            Never saw one, but sounds logic.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
              Are you sure these are the correct switches?
              If referring to the Foot Pedals.......I haven't seen the entire collection yet. I think the two I fetched yesterday were NOT original Marshall pedals, just look-alikes, one I didn't open (LED's didn't light on either switch), the other was wired wrong for the Channel Switch....it was the same as the Reverb switch....LED Anode from Tip or Ring and in series with the switch, going to ground. Changing the Ch Switch to Shunt mode (LED & series resistor across switch) corrected the Ch switching function.

A quick look at the JCM900 Reverb Switching circuit, where the TRS F/S jack's Ring ties over to a point on a resistor string, which has both a N-Ch JFET (J111) and a P-Ch JFET (J174) powered from seperate voltage nodes on the string (FET Switches mute or unmute the Reverb signal), and the potential present at the Ring terminal is ALWAYS above ground, no simple way to make the Pedal's LED light up when the Reverb is ON. Such is life.

Once our Guitar Dept staff member untangles the tub full of pedals and separates the JCM900 pedals from the rest, I'll restore order. There may not even be an original Marshall JCM900 pedal in there. NON-LED pedals will work, of course. I don't recall if the JCM800's work with series LED's in the switches. I'll have to check one with the 'special' JCM900 pedal. Still going thru the JCM900's, then the pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                I forgot to mention...on the dual LED Pedal for the JCM 900's we have, Reverb LED lights up when Reverb is OFF. Ch Switch Lights up for Ch B (along with Panel Switch LED). Seems like there oughta be a mod out there to make the REVERB LED light up when the Reverb is ON. I haven't made a project out of this...just going thru inventory getting amps to work at the moment.
                Hello, sorry to revive an old thread. Or is it better to create a new one?
                Does anyone has the diagram with the mod?
                I have a JCM 900 4501 (50 watts) and want to put leds in it.

*Edit
                Voltages are:
                - Sleeve 10V (reverb)
                - Tip 7V (channel)
                Last edited by spunko; 07-24-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spunko View Post
                  I have a JCM 900 4501 (50 watts) and want to put leds in it.
                  https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/footswitch-marshall-two-button-led

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/footswitch-marshall-two-button-led

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p3adTAm40c
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

Thank you, I've been there too.
                    The diagram for that footswitch won't work. I've read the Q&A, and the dealer said you have to mod that footswitch to allow a battery. Also a buyer commented that the footswitch won't turn the reverb on/off

I also did watch the video, but it does not have a diagram.
                    He calculated the value for the resistors and ended up using higher values. Is not well explained.
                    Maybe the OP got his footswitch working, or someone else and could share the diagram.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	p-h471-led_dimensions.png
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	854364
                      Pay attention to the different resistor value for the LED diode.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/footswitch-marshall-two-button-led

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/sites/default/files/associated_files/p-h471-led_battery_modification.pdf
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Thank you very much.

I found some leds in my drawer, and I don't have the datasheet of them (red and blue), so I had to play with different resistance values to get the switches to work. The diagram provided by vintagekiki was a good start.

I used a good quaility 20K pot to get the propper values.
                        Unfortunatelly with the way I hooked them in the circuit, the leds won't light at 100%, but brigth enough to been seen, I haven't tried outdoors at day ligth tho.

If the resistance is too high, the leds will dim really low or won't light at all, but the channel/reverb will turn on/off normally.
                        If the resistance is too low, in the case of the channel, it will dim the amp's led and won't swicth. In the case of the reverb, it won't turn on, or will drop the volume of the revered drastically.

This is how my footswitch is wired. I didn't change/mod anything, just added the leds and resistors in the diagram.
                        For testing I used jumper cables and tried a bunch of different resistor values and a pot into a protoboard next to the pedal.

Last edited by spunko; 07-28-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X