humbucker magnet stacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbucker magnet stacking

Is it possible to stack 2 standard humbucker magnets in a humbucker?

I'm assuming if they were oriented correctly it should work

They will try to repel each other. you would have to have away to trap, or clamp them together.
    With a P90 they will both stick to the metal strip, but don't really like each other! lol
    If you orient them where they attract, then I think they will cancel out.
    You can put two like bar magnets end to end to lengthen a magnet.
    Anyone else Know, or tried this?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      They will try to repel each other. you would have to have away to trap, or clamp them together.
      With a P90 they will both stick to the metal strip, but don't really like each other! lol
      If you orient them where they attract, then I think they will cancel out.
      You can put two like bar magnets end to end to lengthen a magnet.
      Anyone else Know, or tried this?
      T
      I wonder if you put a couple drops of superglue between them, if it would hold them together. Then, if your bobbin screws are long enough, that would also clamp the bobbins down on top of them, then you tape it up...hmmm
      But, I wonder if it would be pointless with maybe whatever magnet that is on top comprising most of the character you get from your mags..

I guess I'm curious as to how to combine magnet materials like a mixed p90, I think mojo makes humbuckers with mixed magnets too. I wonder if they are just using the smaller magnets side by side.

Comment

The Thin Super glue would probably work.
        If you're talking about two unlike strength of magnets?
        For example a Ceramic, and a Alnico?
        I think you would demagnetize the alnico.
        If two of the same strength magnets, they may stay the same.
        You can get some thicker ceramic magnets.
        For example the Soapbar bass magnets are thicker.
        Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet 2.60" Long
        If you're careful, you can grind them off on the end and shorten them if 2.6" is too long.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
          I guess I'm curious as to how to combine magnet materials like a mixed p90, I think mojo makes humbuckers with mixed magnets too. I wonder if they are just using the smaller magnets side by side.
          What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you care to share with us, maybe the answer to your quest is a lot simpler that you think...

Well...?
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you care to share with us, maybe the answer to your quest is a lot simpler that you think...

Well...?
            Sometimes it is just easier to ask how to perform the exact task you want to perform, as he did, than get off on why you're doing it.
            We would probably want him to do something else, and he still wouldn't know if you can glue them together or not!
            T
            Terry

Comment

it s my understanding that when repelling poles on magnets are in contact for extended time, there will be some magnetisation. a possible solution to this would be to space them with double sided tape so that they are not in contact and still are stacked

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                it s my understanding that when repelling poles on magnets are in contact for extended time, there will be some magnetisation. a possible solution to this would be to space them with double sided tape so that they are not in contact and still are stacked
                The P90 is in near direct contact with a piece of steel between them. Some of them have been configured like that for 50 years or so.
                A blade sidewinder is that way also.
                I make a soapbar sidewinder that has 2 Ceramics head to head with a thin piece of steel between them.
                If you read the indiviual ceramics, they would still read 1400 gauss.
                Without getting too scientific about it, I would just put two together and try it, and report back here, so we would all know.
                Granted they will need to be like magnets, with similar gauss.
                I may have to try that.
                Take two A2, or A5s charge them.
                Let them settle a few days, record the data, then spot glue them together.
                Leave them a while take them apart and see what gauss is left.
                Maybe do a second pair with double sided tape. Compare the two pairs.
                The Tape would eliminate the need for the glue.
                Would be a fun experiment!
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X