No announcement yet.

Please help--class A or class AB amp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help--class A or class AB amp??

Hi group, I am looking to buy my first tube amp. I researched it down to one amp and ordered. It is a class A, 30 watt with 2x12's. It really sounds great to my ears, I like bad company, nugent, older rock music, like to play "some" country/rock. Like most music just don't get into the really heavy metal.

I was snooping around today and saw the same brand amp at another dealer but it was a class AB, 50 watt with 2x12's. It normally cost two hundred dollars more than the class A amp I ordered, but I can get it for the same price.

My question is what is the tone difference between a class A and class AB, will one suit my style of music better than the other.

I live about a hunderd miles from a dealer so going in and hearing the difference is really out the question for now.

Thanks for you help, the amp is getting close to shipping if I get some quick feedback I can change my order.

Thanks again

What if I asked you to describe the difference in flavor between Buffalo and Beef? Without me tasting it in person.

WHy not tell us the brand and models of amp, and we might be better able to answer.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      What if I asked you to describe the difference in flavor between Buffalo and Beef? Without me tasting it in person.
      not that this will help much, but I've always thought that the "tastes like chicken" expression wasn't very helpful either.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

If someone gave you beef and told you it was buffalo, would you notice? Have you heard either amp before? Is a 200 mile drive really too much if you care about tone?
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

200 mile round trip in Wyoming:
          10 mpg in a pickup truck = 20 gallons
          gas at $3 gallon = $60.

oh, if it were possible to just ride the tube!

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            200 mile round trip:
            10 mpg in a pickup truck = 20 gallons
            gas at $3 gallon = $60.
            oh, if it were possible to just ride the tube!
            You need a more fuel efficient vehicle!

Comment

no doubt. but in wyoming lots of people NEED trucks, and owning multiple vehicles doesn't work for everyone.

Comment

palomino v32 vs v50

I didn't bring it up but they are both crate amps, I know they are historically not really popular and didn't want the grief associated by mentioning that. I really like the tone of the V32 2X12, and think I will stay with that. But didn't know if I was missing out on something by not going with the class AB, I thougt maybe a class A was only half of an AB amp sound wise not biasing the tube wise. And anything achieved in a class A amp could also be achieved in a class AB amp.

Thanks for your responses

Comment

Crate - I'm 52 now (( yikes )) and Crate has been around since I was a teenager. If they were truely "crap", I doubt they'd still be selling amps.

Buffalo - not bad, but a little dry for my taste.

Sound - MPO is that "rock" tone is more or less Class AB to my ears (( giant Marshalls, etc )). However, there's so many other factors involved, aside from Class of operation...If you dig the tone of what you have, then it's a cool thing.

Comment

Withe a diesel land cruiser, on teh road, i'm doing 19.7 mpg and i can tell you one thing real calss A amps are quite rare!

Comment

Seriously, I doubt it will really make that much of a difference between the Class-A and the Class-AB. The Class-A will probably be a hot cathode biased amp while the AB is fixed bias. So I expect the A will sound somewhat smoother and bluesier when you crank it up. The AB would probably have a bit more attack and bite.
                      Last edited by Steve Conner; 08-09-2007, 10:44 AM.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Frankly I think the class of operation should be down your list of things further. it is a lot more subtle than something like "half an amp."
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                        X