Danelectro Dan Echo Jack upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danelectro Dan Echo Jack upgrade

Requesting assistance upgrading the jacks on a Danelectro Dan Echo pedal. This pedal has cheap plastic jacks that are soldered on to a circuit board. I would like to replace the circuit board jacks with the mono or stereo switchcraft #11 and #12A (or 12B) jacks with nuts to secure them to the case. My questions are as follows:

1. On the Dan Echo pedal: Does the input need a mono or stereo jack? How about the output?

2. How are the jacks wired? Each jack has three solder points on the board. How do these three solder points on the board correspond to the sleeve, ring and tip on the switchcraft type jacks.

Pics of the board with the jacks are attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140922_174926.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	868884

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140922_174833.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	868885

Do you have the schematic? Without that it is pretty hard to say how it should be wired up.
    Plastic jacks are insulated from the casing.
    If you do go with metal jacks you will probably have to insulate them from the metal casing, otherwise you may end up with ground loops and hum.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working on a multitude of assumptions without a schematic:

1) J202 appears to be the "OUT" jack since most pedals have a switched input and not output. Notice only 2 pins of the connector are used so a simple mono jack would suffice.

2) J201 appears to be the "IN" jack and is probably a TRS jack. Notice battery negative goes to one pin of the jack and nowhere else. When you plug in a mono plug the ring and sleeve are connected together via the plug completing the ground circuit and powering up the unit. You could test this theory by plugging in a plug and checking continuity between pins of the jack.

All that said/speculated, g-one is right. The plastic jacks by virtue of being plastic are chassis isolated. You may or may not have grounding issues.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I have a question: are the jacks defective? People love to hate plastic jacks, but they work well and reliably, and i would not replace them "just because."

Also, do you plan to use the power jack with an adaptor ever? With #11 and #12 jacks, there will not be room for that circuit board in its current position, so teh power jack will not line up. Unless you want to mount a different power jack as well., which I guess you could do. For that matter is there room in general for that circuit board once other jacks are mounted?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

^^^ Yes, I was lost in explaining how the jack circuit likely works. I'd agree that it would be a lot of hassle to fit alternate parts. If I were working on it, and jacks were bad, I'd just replace them with the same parts. There's not much to be gained by any sort of conversion.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
          X