No announcement yet.

Still no break-up. 2x 5F1's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're wired like the weber schematic, are you using input 1 or 2?
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f1_schem.jpg
    Input 1 is high, and input 2 is the low.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
      No that was already on. The addition was in the middle of the board, I think Chuck H recommended it/ circled it on a thumbnail of my pic as few posts back.

Will it all blow up?
      No, it won't blow up. I knew (or believed) that you removed the 22k negative feedback resistor (that's the little red/brown bodied one near where you added the cap). But even if you didn't, adding a large-ish cap across that resistor I indicated raised the gain of that stage by about 3.5dB (a gain increase from about 40 to 60!!!). The difference should be obvious. Very obvious.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        If you're wired like the weber schematic, are you using input 1 or 2?
        https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f1_schem.jpg
        Input 1 is high, and input 2 is the low.
        Yup got that- 2 inputs it has (so like the weber, but with tube rec).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          No, it won't blow up. I knew (or believed) that you removed the 22k negative feedback resistor (that's the little red/brown bodied one near where you added the cap). But even if you didn't, adding a large-ish cap across that resistor I indicated raised the gain of that stage by about 3.5dB (a gain increase from about 40 to 60!!!). The difference should be obvious. Very obvious.
          I did lift the 22k neg fdbk leg. Then added a 22/25 cap across the resistor thats in series to the 22k next to it (physically above it on the board pic). That right? I assumed the higher capacitance you said (2.2 to 22uf) would yield more growl. I'll be able to hear the amp up full/ give it a whirl to test its growl tmrw.

Comment

• I just stumped into this incredible 7 page thread ... about a .... Champ !!!!

Won't even read it because I see you are still at square 1, so, why bother?

My first question is, did you build this? (YES/NO):

I much prefer we use a .gif which can be seen real time in the same page, and which can be edited/annotated, instead of a .pdf
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Yes, that's the circuit. We have 10 times as many posts as it has components

Comment

• There has been progress, though.

As suggested in Post #3 & reasserted in Post #184 (thankyou Tom) the 22K feedback resistor was removed with the result being 'distortion'.
                (and hum)

Now the issue (it seems) is to try and bring down the way high B+.
                (not too sure why)

Comment

• Thanks guys for answering but the one that matters is Sea Chief's

Just yes or no
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    There has been progress, though.

As suggested in Post #3 & reasserted in Post #184 (thankyou Tom) the 22K feedback resistor was removed with the result being 'distortion'.
                    (and hum)

Now the issue (it seems) is to try and bring down the way high B+.
                    (not too sure why)
                    Your not sure why s'one wants to bring down the B+.. thats 90v too high? seriously Jazzp?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                      Yes, that's the circuit. We have 10 times as many posts as it has components
                      Well, it is, but for the added V1 cathode bypass cap I have which the above schematic doesn't (as mentioned a good few times & easily visible on the close-up photos, added a few times now too).

Dave H- I changed the fatso to a 1K and the B+ now 335v. Im not going to get closer to 340v than that! Surprising that the 470 dropped the whopping 392v by only 14v, but a 1k drops it by nr 60v.. interesting.

Ok as there seems to be silly comments now & the usual unsavoury forum nonsense (mild bullying IMO esp when its many against one) juvenile comments at/ lets laugh at him etc, I think I'll bow out before it gets unpleasant & 'the pack' grows. I'll ignore & won't trust the opinion of these folks from now on simple as that.

To all those who helped (without stupid comments) I really appreciate your patience, & your opinions. It may only start to growl at 7 even with an SG + the mods done (which still confounds me when I hear of Champs breaking up at 4!) Im thru trying to understand why now/ Im not going to find out why. Nevertheless it growls, & as a bonus the excessive voltage is much better too.. so ~job done with your help! Great many thanks.

End of.

Thanks, Sea Chief.

Comment

• SC,

Did you ever recognize an increase in clipping for adding the capacitor I suggested?

It would be interesting (to me at least) if you would measure the voltage across the 1k resistor at idle, and again at full clip. Can you post those figures please.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          It would be interesting (to me at least) if you would measure the voltage across the 1k resistor at idle, and again at full clip. Can you post those figures please.
                          I tried it in LTSpice. I only have a Champ schematic with a DC power supply but the PSU current was 50mA at no signal and 45mA at full clip (inverse sag) because the waveform was asymmetric.

Comment

• Thanks Dave. That's why I thought it would be interesting. I figured a simulation would demonstrate the inverse sag expected from a class A circuit. I was interested in the real world results though. It looks like SC may have checked out due to thin skin though.

Comment

Working...
                            X