Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Wire Corp. Sandy Hook, Conn. Brown Plain Enamel wire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something like this..very complex to explain to mortals though.

Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

• Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
      The problem is that Possum is asking for some wire which i've got plenty off, but it has to be correctly measured ,which is fair enough, but he hasn't replied to my question of how am I supposed to correctly measure it for him. I'm not sure what to make of this
      ***Makes some popcorn***
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

The problem is that Possum is asking for some wire which i've got plenty off, but it has to be correctly measured ,which is fair enough, but he hasn't replied to my question of how am I supposed to correctly measure it for him. I'm not sure what to make of this.
        Looks to me like he'd want a small sample to check himself.
        Not too unreasonable a request, methinks. Maybe shoot him a PM?

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        If anyone has some to sell, I may be interested, but it has to meet diameter specs on a micrometer. I would need a couple inches to measure since most people use micrometers wrong, even the wire sellers get it wrong.
        EDIT: He might also want to verify the wire isn't stiff or stinky...
        Last edited by rjb; 10-14-2016, 07:55 PM.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Hi Wolfe

The problem is that Possum is asking for some wire which i've got plenty off, but it has to be correctly measured ,which is fair enough, but he hasn't replied to my question of how am I supposed to correctly measure it for him. I'm not sure what to make of this

Cheers

Andrew
          Well, Like I said, only Dave knows how to measure, and he'll never reveal his top secret unicornsauce for doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
            Well, Like I said, only Dave knows how to measure, and he'll never reveal his top secret unicornsauce for doing so.
            It probably entails decades of yoga training and/or an electron microscope.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
              It probably entails decades of yoga training and/or an electron microscope.
              Well if Possum can't be bothered to answer I sure as hell can't be bothered to send him some samples ole!!

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

• Might not be able to wind with it, but sounds perfect for making my magic sprinkles.
                Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

• The trick with mics is to have several strands of the wire passing over the mic's anvil without crossing. The mic tends to flatten the wire slightly so you get an incorrect reading.
                  You can hold the end of the wire down with your fingertip and then wind the wire around under your finger tip to make a little spiral that still fits on the anvil.

Comment

• I use it for specific purposes, but much of their wire is oversized and unusable. I got a roll from BAE and he was kind enough to send me a few inches to measure and it hit exactly where I want it to. Elektrisola's wire suddenly went up noticeably in ohms per foot but gained a smidgeon in OD, weird. BAE will measure for me but his measurements are always wrong, I had the same problem with Wirenetics. The proper way to measure, at least my own method, is to put some alcohol on a piece of white laser paper and run it thru the micrometer plates to get any dust off, then run it thru dry once to remove the alcohol. Zero the meter and check that it stays at zero after multiple closings. There is a ratchet end on the spindle that is calibrated for correct force on the platens. I use a single piece of wire, broken or cut off so not to stretch it, put it between the plates and turn until the ratchet clicks. Measure multiple times to make sure you're getting the same results. I have a bunch of rolls of old AWC stuff I got from Wirenetics, that they "measured" back when I was starting out, the stuff is more like 40-41 gauge than 42 its so freaking thick, and the insulation is actually HEAVY insulation. Totally failed to even come close to any of the vintage wire we tested at Elektrisola. A few of the runs from years ago they accidentally did things right and am trying to find a few of these rolls if anyone wants to dump theirs.
                    http://www.SDpickups.com
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                    X