Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Built-in solid state reverb circuit for tube amp homebrew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built-in solid state reverb circuit for tube amp homebrew...

I have an amp I've built for myself that came out good, I like it alot but I miss having a built-in reverb circuit. Yes, I know, there are lots of good reverb pedals out there - I should know, I own many of them but I like building stuff and would prefer to have a built-in reverb in this particular amp. This amp is perfect for rehearsal, smaller gigs and whatnot and it would suit my needs best if it had a reverb circuit without having to plug in a bunch of stuff.

Unfortunately, there's not room inside the amp for the two more tubes that a tube driven reverb would require so it'll have to be solid state. I don't care if it's discreet transistors or op amp, either is fine. It's a smallish amp so I'll have to use a short tank. Has anyone built such a reverb circuit that they like and can recommend? I'd like to find some already designed circuit that is known to sound good. I like the sound of Fender tube reverb circuits in their combo amps but have never been too fond of their solid state reverb attempts in their later tube amps. However, I'm sure there is a good circuit out there and of course, solid state reverb circuits can sound every bit as good as tube reverb circuits.

Thanks in adv.,

Bob M.

Rather than a Tube vs SS difference, main problem with (most) modern Fenders is that they use smaller tanks.
    You can't beat Physics [tm]

Using some version of the long tank used in Twins and such will alleviate most of the problems.

Haven't checked lately but Accutronics (now Belton) used to suggest a lot of generic Reverb schematics in their site.

Only problem is that they will usually need +/- 15V to feed them, so you'd need to add a small 12+12V transformer somewhere to feed them.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Or you could try one of the digital modules that are out there.
      They are cheap enough.

Untitled Document
      https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-RBTDR-1H-M

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Or you could try one of the digital modules that are out there.
        They are cheap enough.

Untitled Document
        https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-RBTDR-1H-M
        I've seen these. Do you have a tested schematic for a stomp box using this IC with true bypass? I guess one could power it with 4 AAA cells and a series diode or a 9v battery with 3 series diodes (a regulator would shunt current to ground and reduce battery life.) I seems simple enough to cobble one up, but there are always nuances.

Comment

Building a reverb into an existing amplifier these days is not such a problem as it used to be. Belton reverb bricks are PT2399 based or so is the rumor so an FV-1 based module will be a better choice. Check Aron's forum digital section for FV-1 projects. There is a guy there who is selling a PCB with the chip presoldered. Or Check out Frank's site for some more FV-1 based modules:

SKRM-C8-XXX | Experimental Noize

Comment

Working...
          X