Anyone recognize this plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognize this plug?

I need to get hols of some 1/4" plugs with a really short barrel to wire up a very tight pedal board to a One Control switcher. Got plenty of George L plugs but my customer doesn't want to use these. Just need them for the switch side - the pedal connections will be pancakes. R/A plugs won't fit due to the socket spacing.

Anyone know what these are and who supplies them? Any in Europe?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6286 (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	868938

Edit: Apologies - should have been posted in the Music Electronics area

I don't trust solderless plugs either, but just use ANY L shaped soldered plug, there's tons available.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Haven't seen those in a while. just cut one off of an old Maestro rythm unit I refurbed. A POS really.

Comment

Although it doesn't specify in the data, the Switchcraft model 380 phone plug has a one inch barrel. The downside is no cable crimp like the long jacks.

380 Switchcraft | Mouser

Mouser is about the most expensive but there are others that carry it.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The 380 looks like it could fit and the absence of any strain relief won't be an issue once everything is tied down. None of the right angle plugs I've got fits because the spacing is so tight the top row can't be inserted - the pitch is so close the 'tail' of the top plugs won't fit between the plugs in the lower row. I guess the designer intended the unit only to be used with straight plugs.

Comment

Rean NYS201 is very small too, and i find diameter usually more important than length for plugs

Neutrik Rean NYS201 1/4" Mono Phone Plug Short Handle

Partexpress 091-380(385, 390) plugs are pretty small too but look like expensive trash
            Last edited by tedmich; 10-11-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Although it doesn't specify in the data, the Switchcraft model 380 phone plug has a one inch barrel. The downside is no cable crimp like the long jacks.

380 Switchcraft | Mouser

Mouser is about the most expensive but there are others that carry it.
              I was confused for a sec from seeing the pic--since I have (what seem to be) some of those plugs (and they are larger than usual), but seeing this (web page of 1/4" connectors from a local (Japan) vendor) :

ƒtƒHƒ“ƒvƒ‰ƒO@ƒWƒƒƒbƒN Switchcraft G&H Amphenol Neutrik CLIFF ƒ}ƒ‹M–³ü LAVA CABLE

...it appears that Mouser is using the wrong picture for the plug (which is indeed shorter than usual). Also, (towards the bottom of the aforementioned page) there are some small-looking Lavas (with right-angle and straight, as well as solder-less and soldered contact versions).

Comment

Mick,
                On the same web page that dai h references there is a plug described as "Lava Cable Solder Version" order number LVPG010, which looks like it would work for your application.
                Photo Attached. That's as short as I've seen. I don't know if you can source them but at least it's nice to know that such a part exists.
                Tom
                Attached Files

Comment

there do seem to be sources available in (the still) United Kingdom (and Europe) :

Lava Cable - International Stores

Lava Cable Nickel Plated Jack/Plug for use with Mini ELC Cable

Comment

Did you try these?Click image for larger version

Name:	a-1823.jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	835562

Comment

As for the original plug style, looks vaguely familiar...but I can't place it ATM.

Originally posted by Mick Bailey
                      I need to get hols of some 1/4" plugs with a really short barrel to wire up a very tight pedal board to a One Control switcher. Got plenty of George L plugs but my customer doesn't want to use these. Just need them for the switch side - the pedal connections will be pancakes. R/A plugs won't fit due to the socket spacing.
                      Not familiar with One Control. Don't think you meant Control One (Digitech) as the only 1/4 jack on there is for a CC (expression) pedal so....Is this on the rear of a rack mount piece that your trying to fit? That would explain why right angles as below could cause issue...

Originally posted by jbltwin1 View Post
                      Did you try these?[ATTACH=CONFIG]30914[/ATTACH]
                      Currently picturing something like a GCX in a rack, with tight tolerances between adjacent pieces. But then, in that case, why would length of a straight jack be of concern?? -puzzled-

If you could perhaps provide a pic or two of what you're working with, we might be able to offer additional suggestions? (Though there's been some good ones already)
                      Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Got a little sidelined, but back on this again...

Anyhow, here's a shot of the rear of the unit. The sockets are on 3/4" pitch, so with right-angle plugs they could only be a maximum 3/8" diameter to clear between top and bottom. The additional problem is the obstructing bar at the base of the unit which means the plugs won't clear anyhow (the relationship is fixed to get the pedals on the board).

Either the Switchcraft 380 or Lava soldered version would work just fine. Favourite is the Lava - except for the eye-watering price here in the UK. This would give me plenty of room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6290 (Large).JPG
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	835632

Comment

Mick,
                          Having seen the pic you just posted I'm wondering why the customer won't allow more room behind the One Control switcher jack panel to get the job done with standard length plugs. If that's not acceptable then the customer just needs to bear the extra cost of special plugs as the tradeoff for a super custom job.
                          Tom

Comment

Same here.
                            You don't have to follow customer's whims when they have no clue.
                            Who's the Tech here?

That tight jack pitch means it was designed for straight plugs, period.

Which come in a standard length, normalized all over the World.

If it requires an expensive custom hard to find plug to work at all, it's bad Engineering, period.

By the way, what's so unbearable in making the pedalboard 1" deeper?
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The pedalboard is totally packed when populated - barely enough room to get Switchcraft 'pancake' 228 plugs between pedals. Plus midi for a Strymon delay, so it's a real squeeze. An inch deeper would have made all the difference, but the board is already welded up, with a custom flight case. Had I been working from scratch I would have laid it all out, sized it up with some 'sleeve' and welded up the frame then got the case built to suit.

Maybe its a job I should have passed up - too much time trying to contain the cost and get the best-fit obscure (in the UK) connectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X