Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Too LOUD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Too LOUD

The gain channel on my Fender Deluxe 112 Plus is way too loud. Afraid to put it above 2 as I think it will blow the speaker. Is there a simple mod to attenuate that channel?

The clean channel is fine.

Thank you.

There is a gain control and a volume control for that channel, isn't there?
    If 2 on the volume is as loud as you want, then don't turn it up more.
    Where do you have the gain set at?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

To add: the speaker will not suffer.

Comment

With the Volume at 2. Any gain setting over 2 is way too loud and gets louder as you turn up the gain.

With the Volume at 1. You can use most of the gain dial.

With the Gain set at around 1, you can pretty much use the entire Volume range.

I should add the input Jack One does not work. If I recall there are some bad internal connections inside the sealed jack and the jack needs to be replaced. If you try to use Jack One, the amp will hum. So I am just using Jack Two (which has no issues or hum).

I should also mention that the original Fender 4 ohm speaker is bad. Very bad crackle on lower notes. Currently have a Celestion Rocket 50 8 ohm in there.

Comment

So with the volume at 1, you can use any gain setting you like. Sounds about normal for this amp. So no real problem, you just want the knob to read a different number at that sound level? That is all that you can do.
          It would probably mean changing that volume control to a different taper type pot.
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If that is normal for this amp I will just leave it be. Thanks!

Comment

Don't have the schematic in this computer, but it's quite probably a Linear pot there ... it should be Audio/Logarithmic, same value.

Post the pot code, it should include an A, B or C letter, besides the numerical value.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

JM, the schematic calls out that pot as 50K, B.
                http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf

Comment

I noticed that the previous version seems to have a master volume with a C / reverse audio taper! http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf
                  My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

g one , yes, 50K B , bad enough, it should be 50K A.

Same problem happens with the tubed HR ones, its so bad (because they need to use a lot of gain to get proper tube clip) that somebody offers an aftermarket solution: an Audio pot inside a little box with 2 plugs, to be inserted in the effects loop .

pdf64: well, that's crazy !!!

Mind you, the previous gain control, 100K C R26 must be a C , because it both controls the gain of U3b but also is in series with the input of U3a , but anywhere else it's not.

Edit: worst is that standard users, who on average play much more at home (or garage) than live in, say, a Club, think of it as "too loud" ... while the real label should be "loud too soon" ... it does not add one single watt at full power, when fighting a drummer.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah.
                      Actually the HR series of amps are putting out full power (unclipped) with the volume on 3!

Comment

Yes I confess to making a aftermarket solution .. think it may have been a Fender Frontman .
                        10 bucks - plastic box , a pot , wire scraps , two jack plugs, a hacksaw and hot melt glue !

Watch out China !! Click image for larger version

Name:	External-Fen-Mast.Vol.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	835670

Comment

It looks a lot like my "Princeton 112 Plus". There are some great mods detailed on this forum including a master volume. I installed all the mods and am very happy with the final sound of this amp now. Big improvement and the master volume.

Comment

Working...
                          X