Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a hot glue gun they like. What glue for what purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a hot glue gun they like. What glue for what purpose?

Tell me, please.

High temp/ high strength glue sticks with 25 sec working time, heated with cheap butane torch.
    For installing leather saxophone pads into brass pad cups.
    Well, you did ask.
    Last edited by rjb; 10-25-2014, 02:46 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Use a good quality contact adhesive.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

The industrial glue guns (not sold in hardware stores) are far better than the retail stuff, but are expensive.

There is a wide variety of gun types and glue types.

You will need to narrow the search by laying out what the intended uses are. And the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
          Use a good quality contact adhesive.
          I guess that advice was for me.
          Contact cement is traditionally used for corks.
          Pads
          are traditionally installed with melted stick shellac; you want some "give" so you can "float" the pads.

But trying to introduce some pickup-related content:
          I don't do this, but I think DiMarzio fills the back of Model P pickups with some type of hot glue.
          I think it holds the pickup in the cover and secures the lead wires (which are soldered to the coils with no other strain relief).
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

There is a kind of hot-glue that is used for potting things. This may be what is being used. Much faster, cheap material, low waste, no messy cleanup.

Comment

at home I love the black glue sticks for tolex repair
              https://www.parts-express.com/black-...-1034--360-379
              with a HF cheapie gun, but at work we have a McMaster Carr 7518A18 ($143.19) that is a beast (100w!) that starts up fast and goes all day.

Comment

I used to use a hot glue called ferrule tight for gluing arrow inserts in aluminum shafts.
                It was reheatable, and worked great, and came in a stick.
                I used a small propne torch, to apply it.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I quit using hot glue for anything after I moved to the middle of the Mojave Desert.

Comment

I picked up a Franklin Hy-purformer gun a few years ago on CL. It uses PU cartridges which are permanent and high strength. They come in various thicknesses and kick at different speeds, 30 sec to 2 mins or so. Unfortunately they are expensive and shelf life is 6 months. Open life is maybe 30 days. Totally impractical unless you are trying to bond something permanently that would be awkward to clamp up. The gun doesn't have a heater so it's essentially cordless but the base station heats up a thermal mass inside the gun which stays warm for a minute or two.

From the posts so far it doesn't sound like many folks are using hot glue in their pickup making operations. Thanks for the info!

Comment

A few more of us David probably do. Mine is a Tec 820-12 which can go up to 195c and finds uses all the time. Great on low temp to tempory tack things in place as the glue can then be peeled away after anything permanent has done the trick but with black potting compound sticks it's a good alternative to potting with epoxy and much quicker.

Comment

I found this 100W one that looks promising: Amazon.com: Surebonder PRO2-100 100-Watt High Temperature Industrial Glue Gun, Black: Home Improvement
                        The price is right and you can get different tips for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X