Pickup works but no dc-resistance reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup works but no dc-resistance reading

I have one Dearmond Guitar Mike pickup that doesn't give any dc-resistance reading for the coil but it works. Have you had any similar situations that your pickup works but you can't measure the resistance of the coil? I wonder if it's possible for the pickup to work trough the stray capacitance between the wires.

Got once a short cut in a coil, making it behave like a capacitor in series with the other coil. No DCR reading but a bright dry tone, reminding a Rickenbacker pickups with its cap in series.
    Don Mare (pickup winder) explains something similar about the bridge PU of Roy Buchanan's Telecaster nicknamed Nancy.

Comment

Hi
      The coils broken you'll need to rewind it. If you check it with a mega ohm setting you should get a 20mohm reading approx. It'll sound thin.
      Cheers.
      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Tomi Kettunen View Post
        I have one Dearmond Guitar Mike pickup that doesn't give any dc-resistance reading for the coil but it works. Have you had any similar situations that your pickup works but you can't measure the resistance of the coil? I wonder if it's possible for the pickup to work trough the stray capacitance between the wires.
        The pickup is working through self-capacitance of the coil (not the wiring harness). Rewind required. Unless you like the sound.

Comment

Do not discount the possibility of the solder joint on the pickup having so much tarnish that the meter leads aren't making contact. That's happened to me many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
            Do not discount the possibility of the solder joint on the pickup having so much tarnish that the meter leads aren't making contact. That's happened to me many times.
            If the tone control works like a vol control you can be fairly certain the coil is open.

Cheers
            Andrew

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. It seems that the coil wire is broken. So now I have a good opportunity to learn how to rewind

Comment

This might be a daunting first rewind.

Comment

I agree with DK.
                  If it is anything as hard as the Monkey on the stick, I would send it to the appropriate winder.
                  Such as Sonny W. Comes to mind!
                  http://music-electronics-forum.com/users/7495/
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X