Bass MiniBuckers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass MiniBuckers!

I'm fixing to be winding Minibuckers for a Import Beetle bass.
    Anyone got any suggestions what would work well?
    I'm thinking lots of turns for the bridge, and low wind for the neck bucker?
    Anyone else make pickups for these?
    The Lefty bass will be here Monday.
    Douglas WVEB Short Scale Violin Bass VS Lefty - RondoMusic.com
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Are the originals humbuckers ?
    Here's some interesting 70's Ibanez "Lawsuit" Bass guitar pickups that I've repaired for a customer .
    `From the outside they look like humbuckers but they have 1 single coil but a north & south up polarity like a bucker

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I don't know what is in there?
      They are the right dimensions to make them firebird pickups.
      May have to swap the bobbins, and the magnets out.
      The new bass has pickups with plain chrome covers.
      Thanks Copper for the pictures.
      I'll try to take some pics of the new pickups when I tear them apart.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Uhhhhhh, what're we lookin' at there, Copper? Are those ceramic bars under the screws, and just short pieces of steel in the core?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
          Uhhhhhh, what're we lookin' at there, Copper? Are those ceramic bars under the screws, and just short pieces of steel in the core?
          Ceramic magnets ,yes
          I can post some more pic's tomorrow if you like

Comment

Sure, thanks. There is no end to the funky designs of the pickups of yesteryear. Just spent some time scanning the interwebs learning about Hofner pickups.

Comment

Copper did you build it back as a SC, or make it a humbucker with 2 bobbins?
              T
              Terry

Comment

I only repaired it & kept it close to the original specs as possible

Comment

The bass will be here tomorrow.
                  I will rewind or rebuild the pickups, and wire it like the diagram below.
                  Plus the addition of a 3-Way LP type switch, to switch the output lead to the pots.
                  http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...1pptseries.pdf
                  Last edited by big_teee; 10-26-2014, 04:35 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

The bass came this morning.
                    I looked it over a little.
                    The bass is a hollow body.
                    The pickups measured in the bass through a guitar cord, around 12k each.
                    They may be Mini buckers, wired with 44, or 46 guage wire.
                    I will take the cover off of one, and I will know more about the pickps later.
                    T
                    **Edit Note
                    After evaluating a while, I couldn't get past the extreme neck to body imbalance.
                    With a hollow body, too much neck dive, and would not sit right on my knee while playing in a chair.
                    I got a return UPS label, and I'm shipping it back today.
                    The Dream Melted! lol
                    So I'm back on the hunt for a Lefty Short Scale!
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

I'm sorry it didn't work out.
                      Btw, did you determine whether the pickups are SC or HB?

A Beatles bass is on my "someday" wish list, and I'm not so picky-
                      I wouldn't be above using stock pickups & weighting the body with some lead!

-rb
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I did pull the neck pickup, and looked thru the baseplate hole and could not see a bobbin.
                        Which made me think it had one bobbin in the middle, but could not see much.
                        The pickups were not bad noisy, and didn't sound bad, not that great either.
                        There are far too many good basses out there, IMO to buy one of the violin relic look alikes.
                        I'm used to my solid body Ibanez, and the Violin hollow body, was noisy and clicky sounding when You touched it.
                        Not nice and quiet like a Solid body.
                        The reason I returned it is having the neck dive, I realized it would sit in a corner, and I would never play it after the initial new wore off.
                        There are some short scale basses out there, that IMO are better choices.
                        Like the Epiphone EB-3, the Fender Squier Mustang with humbucker pickup, some Rondo SX short scale basses.
                        Buy whatever you like, Eveyone has their own cross to bear!
                        But, on the Bright side, I do plan on trying that push/pull series dimarzio layout someday soon, on something.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I found this last night.
                          If they made a lefty I would send in the money! I found it as cheap as $279 on Amazon.
                          G2220 Junior Jet? Bass II by Gretsch® Acoustic Guitars
                          It comes with two true Minibuckers, and is a 30.5" scale, and has a Basswood body.
                          Would probably weight 7-8 pounds.
                          It would be a very gigable bass, and should balance well on your knee.
                          Check out the sound clip!
                          Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet Bass II - YouTube
                          Terry

Comment

Ibanez makes a short scale LH bass. Have you checked them out?

Comment

Thanks,
                              I saw it, and it had Ps, and a J.
                              I may have to get some boards and make my own!
                              I really like that little gretsch, it's rigged out right IMO!
                              I like the different look, and the switchable pickups.
                              And, something that doesn't have a body shaped like a fender strat.
                              I'll keep the eye open for something.
                              I don't really need anything, but when the $100 violin popped up, It woke me up!
                              T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 10-29-2014, 10:13 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X