Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial caps in fender amps

Hi.
    I have a couple of Fender amps here. Some with the old Capacitor Can section, and some like the newer Deluxe's, with the caps mounted to the PCB.
    I have a an ample amount of Radial type capacitors with the proper values. It's difficult to get axial's around here.
    Can these be made to work? Are there any tricks I should know of??

Super secret tricks:

Get the polarity right and mount them so they won't be rattled around. Some good non-corrosive-curing silicon RTV (GE Silicone II qualifies) will help with this last.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Also, if the leads have to be extended outwards, give them a good knee kink to help absorb any shock and/ or vibration.

Comment

Jazz, a bit more explanation needed for my imagination. Is it ok to lay one leg along the capacitor body towards the other side to emulate an axial capacitor orientation?

Comment

It's o/k to wrap the leads around the body.
          I wouldn't let it touch the can.

Small diameter heat shrink tubing will do.

Then again, this guy got away with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAPS-Axial-To-Radial-Intellivoice.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	835701

Comment

I think that I would try and keep the hot end of the power supply caps as short as possible and extend the grounded leg.

Comment

Gluing the cap down to the board is a good idea. Another trick is to use a tiewrap. If you don't want to drill holes in the board, use the tiewrap to hold the extended lead to the body of the cap. If you can find some heat shrink that is big enough, you can use that to hold the lead to the can.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
              X