Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42.5 AWG wire

Hi all,

I'm keen to give this gauge wire a try in a pickup I'm working on that's almost right.

Does anyone have any tips of where I could get say 1 lb at a reasonable price?

I'm happy with poly or PE.

Cheers
    James

Good luck finding the half sizes.
    We have had guys looking for 41.5, and 42.5 wire before.
    Don't know of anyone finding any!
    If you do find some, please list your findings.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

FWIW wire diameter itself is not that precise, specially at the thinner gauges.

read the factory datasheets or specs and you'll see that "xx ga wire is between xxx and xxy mils" or something equivalent.

You'll find some differences shocking

I bet wire tension affects gauge , and I'm not kidding.

It's very thin very soft copper after all.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for your replies

If anyone out there has any spare, I'd love to hear from you!

Now J M Fahey, apart from inherent differences in wire tolerances, are you suggesting that I could stretch 42 AWG to approach 42.5 AWG by winding with more wire tension? Can you get that much stretch practically e.g. without breaking the wire?

Comment

Another option to wire size?
          You can buy wire per size in either min/nom, and nom/max.
          Min/Nom Wire would run a little smaller than the same gauge wire in Nom/Max.
          MWS sell some of their wires sizes in both min/nom, and nom/max .
          As far as wire stretch, It is not that big of an issure, if medium tension is used.
          Others please jump in.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jimboyogi View Post
            Thanks for your replies

If anyone out there has any spare, I'd love to hear from you!

Now J M Fahey, apart from inherent differences in wire tolerances, are you suggesting that I could stretch 42 AWG to approach 42.5 AWG by winding with more wire tension? Can you get that much stretch practically e.g. without breaking the wire?
            No, I wouldn't do that on purpose, specially for reliability reasons.

My comment pointed at
            1) you really can't be sure that 42AWG is exactly 42 AWG so don't worry that much about the number printed on the spool label.
            Since drawing is not that accurate in such small sizes with soft metals, I'd buy a little 42 AWG, a little 43AWG , wind both and check which sounds best, you be the judge.
            FWIW one of them might already be quite close to 42.5

2) I guess that unless made in a highly automated machine , pickup to pickup variation will be larger than what wire gauge alone can explain.

So I suggest you experiment and be your own judge.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wire size can also be determined by Micing the wire OD, and by DCR measurements per 10ft, 100ft, or 1000ft.
              Use the DCR with the wire documentation available, and you can determine the appropriate size.
              I've always wanted some 41.5 SPN to try on Strat coils, I have 41, and 42, and think the 41.5 would be just right.
              I never found any of that either!
              T
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X