EP-1 Echoplex troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP-1 Echoplex troubleshooting

i got super lucky and picked this up for a song. i'm in the mood to get it going.
    it powered on but was otherwise non functioning when i got it. there was an obvious cracked tube, well worn tape, and a resistor
    that had broken free. i replaced the tube, resoldered the resistor, got some new tape, and cleaned the heads and rollers.
    now that i can play through it, it still won't echo. there's a loud hum directly related to the "echo volume" control. when i turn that
    knob up the hum volume increases to unusable amounts and my guitar signal becomes buried in noise. however, if i give a quick staccato pick attack i can hear the repeat of that attack noisily in the background. so it's almost working. any thoughts as to where i should be looking?

You need to figure out if the problem is in the recording part or the playback part. The hum problem may be related to the shielding of the playback head wire or a bad ground in the playback circuit. But it could also be a bad tube.

Have you tested the tubes?

Have you cleaned and demagnetized the heads?

Comment

Working...
    X